Dell XPS M1530 dead? Help please

By ObeerBongKenobi
Apr 3, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell XPS M1530 dead? ***RESOLVED!!****

Hi everyone,

I was cleaning a xps M1530 laptop for a friend and it worked fine. I took it all apart and connected just the keyboard ram and lcd. and it would start fine. I put it all back together and plug the power cable in and hit power and the blue led lights for a split second and turns off. In order for me to get the same result I need to unplug the power cable then if I hit power again the blue led light for a split second and shuts off again.

I'm not sure what happened but it worked better when the laptop was disassembled.
    This is what ive done so far:

-removed battery
    -plug power only
    -hold button for 30 sec then plug trick
    -removed HDD
    -reseated ram
    -removed WLAN card

Im running out of ideas.

Anyone?

********************************************************************************UPDATE****************************************************************************************

I took it all apart and started from scratch

I only plugged the lcd and 1 stick of ram button board and it posts fine..

so I start putting components back and after each step I would plug the psu in and see if it would post.
    so far so good....

next I put the palmrest back and connect it with all the screws and power on to check.

*NO POST

so i remove all the the screws in the back but I keep the touchpad etc. cables plugged into the board and plug it in and it works..

so i put all the screws back and plug it in and no post.

so okay its definitely "SCREWED UP" (sorry couldn't resist)

next I unscrew just the screw that goes through the cooling assembly near the southbridge and plug it in and it posts fine!

just to make sure I screw the southbridge screw in again and no post.

I took it out and it works fine again. I am just going to leave it out. It is making excellent contact on the southbridge which doesnt get very hot anyways.

maybe this will help others. Most of the time whenever I ask for help on a forum nobody responds by the time someone offers their help I already have the problem solved.

Thanks anyway

Take care.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

lucky you didn't short the board. glad you got it working.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.