Dell XPS400 won't boot up after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. And I hope I find a solution here.

It all started when I was updating drivers and came across updating the BIOS on my working Dell XPS 400. After Updating it, the BIOS was flashed. Once it rebooted a Post showing came up and at the bottom it said "BIOS updated successfully. AFTER that the computer made a total of 6 long beeeeeeeps with no display, monitor light is orange not green. So I shut down the computer and try to turn it on...it turns on for a half of a second and powers down...after 3 seconds it turns on...however no Display...no light on the keyboard or mouse..I just get those 6 long beeeeeeps one after the other.

I tried the following:
-removing battery for 30secs=Did not work
-removing battery for 30mins=Did not work
-Clearing the CMOS, moving the jumpers from 1/2 to 2/3=Did not work

I was read some similar problems and most say the Mobo could be dead. How could a simple BIOS update cause this. There has to be a solution. Anyhow I yet have to try removing the RAM, Vcard, any other attached hardware inside to see what happens. I cannot hit any keys on a keyboard that does not respond aswell..so that holding the insert key=Did not work

Here are my specs:
Processors
Learn More Learn More
NEW Intel® Pentium® D Processor up to 840 (3.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB) with Dual Core Technology.

Operating Systems
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Chipset
Intel® 945P chipset

Office Suites & Productivity
Learn More Learn More
Standard:
Corel® WordPerfect®

Optional:
Microsoft Works Suite 2005
Corel® WordPerfect® Office 12
Microsoft Office 2003 Basic Edition
Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Edition
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition

Memory
Learn More Learn More
512 MB dual channel DDR2-533MHz SDRAM standard, upgradable to 4 GB1 dual channel DDR2-667MHz SDRAM
4 DIMM slots

Drive Bays
Externally available:
Two 3.5-inch bays for an optional floppy or 13-in-1 media card reader
Two 5.25" for CD, CD-RW, DVD or combination drive

Internally accessible:
Two 3.5-inch bays for hard drives

I/O Ports
Video: 1 VGA connector, 1 DVI connector
USB: 7 USB 2.0 ports - 2 front/5 back/1 internal
7.1 Channel Audio: 5 miniature jacks for line in, line out (front, rear and center) and two front panel connectors for headphones/microphone
Network: Integrated 10/100/10002 Ethernet
Optional: One 9-pin serial port (optional)
Optional: 2 PS/2 ports (optional)

Slots
3 PCI slots
1 PCIe x 1 slot
1 PCIe x 4 slot
1 PCIe x 16 (graphics) slot

Chassis
Quiet, silver and white chassis with black accents features:
7 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 5 back) and front headphone jack
Color coded ports and internal cables simplify service and set up
Dimensions (H x W x D): 17.5" x 7.4" x 17.5"
Weight: 34 lbs.

Power
Output Wattage: 375 Watts
Input Voltage (auto-sensing): 90 to 135V at 50/60 Hz; or 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz
Heat Dissipation: 1280 BTU/hour (fully loaded computer without monitor)
Backup Battery: 3.0 V CR2032 coin cell

On some motherboards removing the battery, in and of itself is not enough. You need a jumper. List the model number of your motherboard.

He already used the jumper.

I was read some similar problems and most say the Mobo could be dead. How could a simple BIOS update cause this.

BIOS updates cause motherboards to become paperweights all the time; it's not a recommended procedure for general purpose PC users. the flashing process may seem simple, but it's very important that you do it carefully. without a stable BIOS, a motherboard is useless. If you've made a backup of the original BIOS, which is highly recommended, flash back and try getting the computer to boot. you may have downloaded and flashed the wrong BIOS file. been there...

Make a back up of the BIOS? What are the steps in doing that? So in the future I don't even flash a bios and if I do..i'll have it backed up.

Well yes i put the XPS to rest..looked everywhere for an answer on how to fix it. And I don't plan on buying a BIOS Chip from BIOSMASTER because is not 100% it will work.

Thanks

depending on what tool you are using to flash the BIOS, you should be given the option to back up the original programs as a .bin (binary) file. i always recommend that you do this because things fail, and then you may be out of luck. i've bricked one or two motherboards, and it sucks, but you just need to be cautious and do it correctly.

as far as buying a new BIOS chip, try BIOSMAN.com, i've used them before and they have decent prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back