Dell's ultra-thin Adamo XPS to ship soon for $1,799

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Dell has finally fully disclosed the specifications of its newly crafted ultra-thin notebook, the Adamo XPS. The laptop is only .4" (just over a centimeter) thick and weighs just over 3lbs.

Specs include a 13.4" LED-backlit 720p display, 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ultra-low voltage CPU, GS45 integrated graphics, 4GB of DDR3-800 RAM, a 128GB SSD, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, DisplayPort, two USB 2.0 ports, a 20WHr (about 2.5 hours of life) or 40WHr (a bit over 5 hours of life) Li-Ion battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium X64.

The system ships with Ethernet, VGA and HDMI dongles, as well as an optional DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, and a 250GB or 500GB external HDD. Other noteworthy features include built-in location awareness, an unconventional hinge placement (which angles the laptop), capacitive touch-sensitive latching mechanism, and a full-sized keyboard with aluminum capped chiclet-style keys.

The Dell Adamo XPS' design appears to be very Mac-inspired -- and that includes its asking price. The notebook starts at $1,799 and will reportedly ship in time for the holidays.

Permalink to story.

Specs look good but wow that is a lot of money! It is in the league of Apple with that price! Don't think ill be getting one of these myself!

I'm afraid that if i use a bit too much force when typing i might brake it. Although the design is superb (in my opinion) it's very practical. The keyboard should have been fully grounded and they could have added an rotating screen instead (it might have even been cheaper that way). BTW i am impressed with the specs; they're better than i thought they would be, but the price is... auch.

Oh 0.4 inch thin
I thought you were saying 4"
You know "inches" and feet aren't universal now, so I'm glad you put "(just over a centimeter)"
That's pretty thin, like snap-able thin !

Puiu said:
I'm afraid that if i use a bit too much force when typing i might brake it. Although the design is superb (in my opinion) it's very practical. The keyboard should have been fully grounded and they could have added an rotating screen instead (it might have even been cheaper that way). BTW i am impressed with the specs; they're better than i thought they would be, but the price is... auch.
what i mean is: "it's not very practical".
is there an edit button that i don't know about?

It looks pretty neat, but since there are lots of options to this type of notebooks nowadays it really doesn't look that neat anymore (And considering the price differences there are).

This model might be unique and doesn't compare in a way to any of the others there are out there BUT the price makes you look the other way and just go with something cheaper.

Kinda expensive but if you need a really thin laptop this thing is pretty sweet looking.

Yeah, the laptop does seem a little bit pricey, even thought it might be well designed. One MAJOR drawback is the fact that there is only 2 USB ports. I know one of them would definitely be used up by a mouse, second by a storage device, and in that case, you're left with no room to plug-in your iPod, cellphone, whatever and you have to juggle wires.

@kimsland: ' denotes feet, " denotes inches, cm. denotes centimiters, mm. denotes millimeters.

Nice design and features, but with the screen being alot heavier than the keyboard, working with it placed on your lap could be a little bit tricky.

That's a really weird looking hinge, if you were trying to close the lid quickly wouldn't the screen and keyboard come crashing onto the table?

slh28 said:
That's a really weird looking hinge, if you were trying to close the lid quickly wouldn't the screen and keyboard come crashing onto the table?

I was thinking the exact same thing....Talk about awkward when you go to close this laptop..at least from the looks of it. But yeah the price is a bit much. I will however give them props for the thinnest, honestly would love to see one in person because that seems amazingly thin, which leads me to wonder about its durability.

@kimsland: ' denotes feet, " denotes inches, cm. denotes centimiters, mm. denotes millimeters.
Yes I know
But saying .4 looks like 4
I read the link to the article and it said 0.4
That was my point ;) (ie Best to quote the zero as well, plus that was the exact quote: 0.4" not .4")

And you will be well of remembering that about 3 cm = 1 inch.
You mean 2.54cm=1 inch of course ;)

I think I will break it the minute I start work on it, as I am not very good with stress and easily smash my hand on the thing in front of me, which mostly is my current laptop's touch-pad area. Though it looks kind of awkward with that strange hinge, it would have been better if this had touch and revolving scree, resembling a tablet, as because of its size and weight, I wouldn't mind using it like a tablet...

Nobody I know, myself included would pay that much for a notebook. You could buy 3 decent ones for the price of just that one. Maybe I am the only 'poor' person on here !!

specs look good but lot of money. Agree that its very thin but i don't think this is for those people who use laptop heavily. Atleast for me i want durable laptop and i don't think i am going to buy this one just to showoff my friends.

Thats actually a good point
What is all this hype about thinner is better?
What exactly are they taking out?
Obviously there is zero shock absorption padding
I mean why thin anyway? Do people want to slip it up their shirt or something :confused: :D
It sits on a bench or on your lap usually!

I wonder if they can get any thinner than 0.4 My My, I can't wait for the 0.3" to be released, but don't turn it sideways cause it might vanish :D

I think it's a pretty decent deal actually. It's not that over priced. The hard drive is solid state, the RAM is DDR3, it comes with a blueray player.

I wouldn't buy one myself, but it's pretty cool in my book.

Wow, I must say I'm impressed with those specs! But it's a LOT more expensive than I thought it would be. that 128GB SSD is definitely contributing to that pricetag. The keyboard hinge is very unique and cool looking, but I wonder how sturdy it is. It looks like it would be under a lot of stress. I'd still take this over the Air any day though.

An ultra-thin notebook looks cool obviously, but the way the display opens is ultra-ugly :(

I'd love to see a cheaper netbook version with an Intel Atom. That should boost the battery life to something like 5 hours even with the small battery. Of course they'd never do that, because that would make it less exclusive.
The use of a super thin notebook that lasts 2 hours at best when used normally is beyond me anyways...

I wonder if you can place the keyboard flat so it's not at that incredibly uncomfortable looking angle? It appears they didn't have any ergonomicists working on this.

Well if your looking for a thin notebook and money is no object then look no further.
I like the hinge placement, I'm sure it is to provide some nice airflow under the laptop as it sure is gonna get hot with minimal internal heat dissipation, the hinge idea alone will probably save them in alot of RMA's due to overheating.

But the thinner you go the more sacrifices you must make on productivity as the good hardware just won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back