TechSpot

Department of Homeland Security warns users against using Internet Explorer

1. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security on Monday warned computer users against using Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser until a fix is issued for the security vulnerability that came to light over the weekend.

Read more

2. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

They already sent out a patch today

3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Where was Homeland Security when Heartbleed was being used by the NSA?

lmike6453, spectrenad and Jad Chaar like this.
  4. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

LMAO.

OneSpeed likes this.
  6. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,101   +345

They were on a lunch break who do you think setup the room with all the data monitoring equipment for the NSA =)

OneSpeed likes this.
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,618   +376

Not for XP I'd imagine (25% of the desktop market still?)

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,548   +2,894

Not for my Win7 IE8 either. Can't say that I care, even if I was still using IE.

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 843   +330

There won't be many people to warn I guess.

10. I can't find anything about any patch being released. can you give me the details on this fix you received?

11. OliTheG

OliTheG TS Member Posts: 61   +27

Is the title not a bit misleading?

Surely it should be "Homeland Security advises Windows XP users from using Internet Explorer" or "OMG. Windows XP has a security flaw in it (but the majority of home users on XP think they are immune to viruses, so won't care anyway)"

12. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Now just out of curiosity, did they say that it was targeting Windows XP specifically, or is it open to other systems as well? I dunno if I misread or looked it over while reading this article. It is an interesting find though. I primarily use Chrome or Firefox anyway. I keep away from IE since a lot of stuff doesn't translate well, even if I downgrade to IE 9 for my online class. Or for anything to that matter. IE used to be primary, now everyone else is coming up from behind!

13. I'm not aware of any patch for IE 6 - 11 that fixes the current vulnerability. Microsoft did release a patch the updates Adobe Flash for IE versions that have that built in. The short answer is use Chrome, Firefox, Safari or something else for now.

14. Microsoft just released (5/1/14 13:00 EST) patches for IE 6 -11 that fixes the latest issue.

15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,548   +2,894

Now I have an update for my Win7 IE8. After reading all the comments, they lead me to believe there was no update before now.

Edit:
    Hahaha, the update failed to update. They should start doing their updates on saturday night, they are turning quite comical.

Last edited: May 1, 2014