Desktop has been down for about 6 months now with blue screen and error messages

venomous89

I have just about had enough of my laptops small screen and I want my desktop with it's 23" monitor back in action to ease the strain on the eyes. Everytime I turn on my desktop I get the blue screen saying a problem has been detected. It then lists these codes. 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80551ae2, 0xb50ef4c0, 0x00000000). Can anyone help me figure out how to get my pc in working order again. I have started in safe made before without any luck at fixing anything. I haven't tried it in months but I'm pretty sure I can't access the internet in it's current screwed up state. Is there a way I can fix it myself or will I have to take the unit in to be repaired. I have a lot of music and pictures that I really would like to be able to get back to using. Again I'm using my laptop now to access the internet so I don't know how I will be able to access it on the pc in question. I was told I should upgrade my memory but I put it off thinking I would just buy a new pc but that's not an option anytime in these hard times. Oh and hello all, this being my first post and all.

Can you please attach minidumps for analysis with your next post? You can find these in C:\windows\minidump.

Also provide us with complete system specs (including PSU type/model etc). Regards

I can't get the mini dumps to my laptop and I can't do anything with them on the desktop so I'm not sure what good they'll do if no one can see them. The pc is a dell dimension 8400 with windows xp.

Well its a long shot, but can you access Event Viewer logs on this machine? Event Viewer is located in Control Panel, Administrative Tools. If you can, please look for events flagged red/yellow and tell me what they are about in whatever detail you can extract.

OK I've got error on ntfs, service control manager 8 times, dcom 6 times under system. Under application I've got errors on application error and media center scheduler along with warnings for MsiInstaller 3 times. I hope this is what you were asking for.

NTFS error may be due to file system damage or issues with HDD itself, so I suggest you to run HDD diagnostic with the tools provided your HDD manufacturer (at their site).

To correct any issues with file system itself, boot in safe mode, then go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and right click on Command Prompt, then select Run As Administrator and type:

chkdsk /r

It will tell you that it can't run and check disk will run on next boot etc. etc.

Close the command prompt by typing exit and hitting enter. Then reboot your system. Regards

I tried but it said a device attached to the system is not functioning right after I cllcked on OK ?Iton the Run as screen. I only noticed where Current user was selected as administrator and a spot I could have checked for administrator and a password but I didn't check that box and I hit ok and I received the error message.

If the user you are logging in with, is administrator you can get away with it, but if it is not, you need to repeat the procedure and use administrator account and give its password as well.

You can run the same command by booting system in to Command Prompt, instead of selecting Safe Mode.

Do you have another system? and can you attach this hard drive to that computer?

If you can you can try to run tests on this HDD this way. Or you can use Partition Wizard Bootable CD to try and fix HDD errors (in case it is only a file system issue).

I'm guessing you're confused because I am. From the beginning I said I was on my unaffected laptop typing this message on it, the laptop. My desktop is the 8400 Dell Dimension which is screwed up with the blue screen which doesn't really attach to the net nor am I able to do any basic tasks with. I mean I couldn't even do the command prompt and enter chkdsk/ r or whatnot.

I knew we are talking about a desktop machine, what I meant was 'if you could take out the hard drive from this computer, and check it on some other computer (say on a friend's pc)' you may be able to run tests etc.

Or else, you can download the bootable iso (cd image) from the above link, burn it on a CD, and boot your dell with it to check your hard drive for errors.

Back