Desktop icon removal

By jamesketchell
Jun 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

I mistakenly downloaded a skype update to my desktop last week, rather than my downloads folder. The file was called SkypeSetup.exe. Since it was downloaded and installed i have been unable to remove the SkypeSetup.exe icon from my desktop.

I've shut down skype, even uninstalled skype completely but every time i click delete on the icon i get the following warning.

" cannot delete SkypeSetup.exe: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using this file and try again"

Can anyone suggest a work around to the problem?

James
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

3. jamesketchell

jamesketchell Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the tip, i gave it a try and got the same warning :( Is there any way i can see what program is trying to associate with it? I'm assuming its a skype file, but as i say even after skype removal i get the same problem.
  4. howard_hopkinso

Download the Pocket killbox programme from HERE. That should be able to get rid of it.

Regards Howard :)
  5. jamesketchell

jamesketchell Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

That did it! Selected File Kill and End explorer shell while killing file and it worked.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Now if you can just help me sort out my windows media player, you will make it to my xmas card list.....
  6. howard_hopkinso

That`s good news.

For your media player problems, please open a new thread in our Audio and video forum.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.