Desktop wont load

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i turned on my computer today i had one of those "your computer has been infected with spyware: click here to remove it" things that changes your desktop. I restarted my computer a few minutes later and the desktop and icons came up, but i couldn't click on anything, all i could do was move the mouse. I tried starting it in safe mode and i never got past a black screen that said safe mode on it.

I appreciate any suggestions you have.

I have an XPS 410 and im running XP sp2

Difficult

I say go back to Normal mode and wait for the clickable icons to be accessable again (can take up to 10mins sometimes)

You should also unplug any devices like camera/printer so forth (that are presently not needed) before starting back up.

Basically we need something to work with, otherwise it's boot from the Xp CD and re-install. By the way are there many important documents that you haven't backed up that may be on the system?

I use that computer mostly for gaming so i dont have too many very important documents on it. Ill go boot it up and just wait and see if it can do anything.

If you get it up and functioning, Combofix has a feature for heavily infected machines or machines that are low on resources due to infection.

Please download this file - combofix.exe by sUBs
  • Save it to your Desktop
  • Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  • Now physically disconnect from the internet and STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields)
  • Click on your START button and choose Run. Then copy/paste the entire content of the following quotebox (Including the "" marks and the Symbols) into the run box.

"%userprofile%\desktop\ComboFix.exe" /KillAll
  • Click OK and this will start ComboFix in a special way.
  • When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to a Notepad File to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log.

Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

* After you have saved the logs, restart your system to re-enable all the programs that were disabled during the running of ComboFix.

* Reconnect to the internet

* Post the following logs/Reports:
  • ComboFix.txt
  • Fresh HijackThis log run after all the other tools have performed their cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back