Desktop won't turn on, but instead go stand-by

nenitosoyyo

Been having this problem for more than a year now. I will press the power button and the desktop sounds like it goes on, my dvd drives flash and all. The only thing is that the power button flashes orange/yellow instead of being green. Just like if it where on stand-by, the monitor also looks like its on stand-by (PLEASE don't tell me its the video card, I know its not that.). Now I might get lucky once or twice a day to get on it, meaning that I press the power button and it turns on normally and acts like nothing happened, but due to the hot weather here, I don't like to leave the computer running all day and we get to many suprise thunder storms, so I like to leave it unplugged when I am not on it.

Anyways this is my Dell Dimension 5100 from my specs. I tried about half a year ago to figure this all out, but no results. I am trying to avoid going to the shop, I really don't have the money to waste if they won't have a answer for me. So I am just hoping maybe someone might know what is going on with this thing. Like I said it will work most days, but I will have to try like a million times turning it on and off till the power button turns green and I get a picture on my monitor.

Hope someone out there can help me, if you need a video or photos, let me know, I can get them up for ya. Thanks so much. :)

Really...? No one knows, not even an idea, does anyone at least know another tech site with lots of people that is free help. Please and thank you.

I don't think its that i am beginning to think it is the mobo i am having the same issue and i have trouble shoot my computer i have put in new hard drives new cables new ram graphics cards fans psu's the only thing i have not changed is the mobo so like ray bay said the easiest and cheapest way to go would be your hard drive cable then hard drive maybe this is your problem but it is not mine i have also used all the above mentioned gear in other computers and works fine

You know the cable problem could be it, I have never thought about it, I have an extra Sata cable somewhere, will give that a try. Thanks so much, I have a feeling that that could be it.

As much as I want to say that the wire was the problem, that is not the case......... When I managed to get on it though, I had it running from three in the afternoon yesterday till four thirty in the afternoon today, I was watching a YouTube video and the computer just blacked out on me and went into to stand by. So that's not the case I thought maybe it was the power so I plugged in my other psu and had the DVD rom and hard driver running on the old psu and the rest of the computer on the new psu and still the same problem. I don't know what it is, I can see that everything is running inside, what would be causing this?....

I know it's not the hard drive either, I have a new one running in it and it was doing the same as the old one or the other two extra hard drives I have. This computer is one big mystery

Ok so if there was a problem with the monitor, would it effect the tower too? As in the tower LED lights would flash on stand-by like the monitor, yet I can here all the fans and what not running in the computer.

I had a similar problem a few months back the only difference being the computer screen said * computer in sleep mode, press any key to wake up* and no amount of smashing the keyboard of moving the mouse woke it up. Anyway to cut a long story short I tried rebuilding the computer, checked each stick of ram, checked connections then eventually I tried a new psu and then a different gfx card but to no avail.

In the end I replaced the motherboard and everything fired up just fine this was an odd case. If you have checked all of the obviously things like it sounds like you have then time to try a new motherboard. Sorry for the bad news!

Cheers

You know I was thinking about the mother board too, don't want it to be that, but it just might be it. Now I have no idea how to replace a motherboard.

well keep searching for another solution if nothing comes up then I can guide you through replacing the motherboard its pretty straight forward really. Let us know how things go ;)

Back