Destiny Planet View lets you explore the game's maps a week early

Shawn Knight

Staff member

destiny planet view lets explore game worlds google street view google street view activision bungie destiny planet view

Destiny, Bungie’s upcoming online multiplayer first-person shooter, is slated for release a little less than a week from now. In what can only be described as a unique way to market the game, publisher Activision has launched a website called Destiny Planet View in which visitors can tour the game’s varying landscapes using a Google Street View-like tool.

Planet View was built using Google’s own technology. With it, prospective gamers will be able to explore three of Destiny’s settings: Mars, Venus and the Moon.

What users will see with Planet View will be very similar to what the actual game will look like when it drops next week. Instead of running and gunning, however, gamers will simply point and click their way through the varying terrain complete with other players and enemies standing around as if it were the actual game.

Planet View doesn’t contain every area that gamers will be able to visit in the actual title but there should still be plenty to hold folks over for another week. What’s more, some areas are said to contain hotspots that’ll launch images, videos and other information when clicked on.

Bungie’s first non-Halo game in more than a decade will be coming to the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 on September 9.

Are you planning to pick up a copy of Destiny? Let us know in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

Preordered the DGE, played some beta and I can't wait for the full game!

What was your impression of the beta? I've watched a number of YouTube videos and have drawn the conclusion that this title has a 50/50 shot of being either a success or a massive letdown.

I have a preorder as well, but I can't claim to be eagerly anticipating the launch. I've seen the whole FPSMMO thing fail miserably before, as it's quite easy to botch.

I won't be playing this game because they aren't releasing on the platform I play on, PC.

Seriously looking forward to this, It just so happens to coincide with a weeks holiday ;) but seriously, love this game, I played the Beta to basically death, I squeezed everything I could out of it. I liked it so much I felt compelled to pre-order a Ghost edition (I'm also going to the midnight launch in the UK).
I'm now looking forward to leveling up properly and getting properly into the action. The Crucible was pretty good, now with some more maps I'll probably spend quite a lot of time in there.
If only time would go by faster to Monday Night...

I have the Ghost Edition on preorder and more than likely will be taking some time off from work to play.

I will not be picking up destiny because I do not own a console.
I won't be playing this game because they aren't releasing on the platform I play on, PC.
Is it a PC game, yes or no? No.

I won't be playing it.

You guys remind me of the people on car blogs who always comment about how they won't be driving the latest Mustang because they own an M3 or a Corvette.

You guys remind me of the people on car blogs who always comment about how they won't be driving the latest Mustang because they own an M3 or a Corvette.
it looks like a great game, but I'm not going to buy a console just to play a game. Considering that the latest gen consoles are running PC hardware I have no idea why they wouldn't release a PC version. To me it seems like releasing destiny as console only is just a matter of principle for the developers.

I will not be playing it either because I only play games on PC. I have an xbox360 that got 5 hours of use so far in 2 years.... so yeah... no thank you.

it looks like a great game, but I'm not going to buy a console just to play a game.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should. Buying a console for a single game is... well, I don't endorse the practice.

Considering that the latest gen consoles are running PC hardware I have no idea why they wouldn't release a PC version.

Good point and probably money related. They developed the game for all four major consoles (PS3/4 and Xbox 360/One), so I'm assuming a fifth version was too tall an order? Given Microsoft's financial problems with their Xbox division and Sony's risk on the PS4, I'd be willing to wager they threw a good bit of cash at Bungie to keep it a console exclusive.

Preordered the DGE, played some beta and I can't wait for the full game!

What was your impression of the beta? I've watched a number of YouTube videos and have drawn the conclusion that this title has a 50/50 shot of being either a success or a massive letdown.

I have a preorder as well, but I can't claim to be eagerly anticipating the launch. I've seen the whole FPSMMO thing fail miserably before, as it's quite easy to botch.

It's kind of like borderlands + halo/cod pvp, I played on hard mode since I like the challenge, and yeah some bosses took more than 30 mins to beat haha. Also running into people while questing is nice, you can team up with them and stuff. Graphics is amazing on PS4, making you just stop and stare while you're getting beaten to death :x

Considering it's Bungie that made the game it would be hard to fail, I just hope that there is longevity to the game, don't wanna beat it in a week D:

Of course the latest consoles are running PC hardware.. all they are, are PCs. Now, them running the 'latest' PC hardware isn't so correct.

Anywho, if it were for PC I'd pick it up launch night. Since it's not, and I'm not going to dig my 360 out of the closet and pay for XBL again... Bungie is missing out. I wonder when companies will learn.

Looks like it could be what defiance hoped to be but why the heck did they not release a PC version :(

Consoles are just meh.

Back