Detachable tablet PC keyboard stopped working

Hi all,

I have a CHUWI corebook tablet PC that runs on Windows 10. Basically, I bought this after funding it on indegogo and love it so far. In the last week, I ran into a weird problem that I think happened after a Windows 10 update. My detachable keyboard with mouse no longer works. I'm currently using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I contacted CHUWI support and they sent me a windows 10 image to flash and completely reset the laptop. I was wondering if this was a driver issue, but they said the detachable keyboard is free of any drivers and there are no drivers to replace. Initially, I was getting the 'unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)' issue and my Device manager showed an error as well. These are the following steps I've taken to try and solve the issue.
1) Followed all the steps here: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...ice-descriptor-request-failed-for-windows-10/ - after this, the error went away, but my keybord and mouse are still not working.
2) Followed this - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system - didn't help.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

For starters we need the name and (model number) of your tablet.
Next we need to see a screenshot of the error device manager is showing.
Without that information I am asking you for, it'll make troubleshooting pretty hard on us.

Thank you for your response. There is really only one model of the Chuwi corebook and I'm not aware of any model number, but I do have screenshot of the specifications here:

yea26vm2pds2hzrzumee.jpg

This is the laptop I bought:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/corebook-ultimate-2-in-1-win10-tablet-laptop#/

Gearbest has it listed under Chuwi CoreBook CWI542 2 in 1 Tablet PC with Keyboard.

Additionally, as I mentioned, oddly, I'm currently not getting any error after the steps I used above. Right now, when I connect the keyboard, the windows 10 changes from tablet mode to laptop mode and when I remove it, it changes back to tablet mode. I get no errors but the keyboard does not work.

Here is screenshot of my device manager (with hidden devices shown):

dm1.JPG
There is the Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request failed), but it is now disabled. Previously, there was an exclamation mark next to it, showing as an error. This is the only error I can notice right now. Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide that might help diagnose the problem.

Another thing I tried is uninstall any recent windows updates, but that didn't help. I then proceeded to update it completely and that didn't help either.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well if you tried all of those steps, the only other alternative is get rma support from chuwi in china.
I think the problem with this tablet hybrid is a minor irq conflict on the mobo.
https://www.chuwi.com/support/ticket.html
Just go ahead and reach out to them and mention what conclusion you came to.

I cured something similar by uninstalling ALL of the USB controllers and devices in Device Manager (including hidden). A cold reboot let the OS rethink where it had put everything and that sorted it.
Cheap whether it works or not.

I cured something similar by uninstalling ALL of the USB controllers and devices in Device Manager (including hidden). A cold reboot let the OS rethink where it had put everything and that sorted it.
Cheap whether it works or not.

That wouldn't last for very long, as long as windows has the current registry history.
The problem will come right back, best way to fix it, is with new verified drivers from the manufacturer.

You may be right. In this case I think it was a slight corruption or a minor error in registry - no newer driver found, but that may change (it has been about 3 years on that system). I wish there was a 'flush and replace' utility which cleaned registry and checked and reinstalled device. Doing it the way I described feels so untidy.

Back