Diablo III open beta weekend starts today

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard is opening the Diablo III beta to the public this weekend in an effort to stress test the game’s servers before the full title is released next month. All one needs to play the highly anticipated game is a Battle.net account and plenty of free time.

Players will have access to a small section of the game’s first act where they travel to Tristram and become familiar with a few of the main characters such as Deckard Cain’s niece Leah Cain. After setting out into the countryside in search of Deckard, the beta ends with a battle against the Skeleton King.

The beta will open on April 20 at 12:01 pm PDT and remain playable through April 23 at 10:00 am PDT. Weekenders will have access to the same beta game as closed players with the exception of not being able to post in the beta forums and not being provided Beta Bucks to use in the currency-based auction house.

The English, French and German versions of Diablo III will be playable this weekend. Regional differences and features in the Korean version means that a separate beta test will be conducted for Korea, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan next week.

Those who are already in the closed beta will still have full access over the weekend, although Blizzard notes that gamers might experience more lag or disconnects than normal. The closed beta will continue to run through May 1 and the full game is still scheduled to launch on May 15.

Permalink to story.

Hope my system just barely gets it to run for this.
Need a new computer to run the full game, got my Collector's Edition of game + guide pre-purchased, just waiting for the 15th! :D

"All one needs to play the highly anticipated game is a Battle.net account and plenty of free time."

You left out, "a fast computer with high-end GPU, a willingness to tolerate non-stop <i>real-world</i> product placement, acceptance of the absurdity of a <i>real money</i> auction house and a constant broadband connection..all for a primarily single-player <i>fantasy</i> game."

Downloading as we speak. I truly hope this game is good. You know, "developed for 6+ years" good.

This may save me spending $60 on a game that sucks. Hopefully playing today I prove myself wrong and the game is actually good. Otherwise I still have Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, and Torchlight 2 to look forward to (maybe even Lineage 3).

I have been eagre to see this title since the official announcement in 2008 or such i think it was, but the recent truths of this game and real money for trading items and i think they wont be releasing an SDK for modders or mappers has left me dry mouthed after salavating for this title for so long.

I will instead be awaiting Guild Wars 2.

"All one needs to play the highly anticipated game is a Battle.net account and plenty of free time."

You left out, "a fast computer with high-end GPU, a willingness to tolerate non-stop <i>real-world</i> product placement, acceptance of the absurdity of a <i>real money</i> auction house and a constant broadband connection..all for a primarily single-player <i>fantasy</i> game."

Already hating without even trying the actual game in a free beta form they are offering? Biased my ***

This will prob be the only time that I play this game as online-only gameplay is a dealbreaker... Now if only the download would go faster...

The online only aspect is already pissing everyone since most people (everyone?) can't login to play even though the open beta started over an hour ago. :/

can't install the game. it gives the infamous "Could not install. Invalid Installation Options. Please try again".

upon googling, it's a widespread problem.

FAIL

"You left out, "a fast computer with high-end GPU, a willingness to tolerate non-stop real-world product placement, acceptance of the absurdity of a real money auction house and a constant broadband connection..all for a primarily single-player fantasy game."'

First of all you dont need a fast computer with high end GPU... if you want to max the graphics perhaps, but D3 is optimized for a wide range of pc power, for example D3 runs fine on my PoS 3 year old laptop. Next the real world product placement is not in this game, but being considered for their "titan" game. They are using real money in the auction house to combat farming (and to get a little cash in the process) and is ENTIRELY OPTIONAL. Lastly they are implementing a constant connection to make sure hacks and dupes and such will not happen, this also allows you to play your character from any computer with no hassle

Yup, still cannot connect. Basically a single player game with co-op and they make it online only... ridiculous.

Same here can't connect to servers..Been trying all day. :'( :D.. Maybe better luck tomorrow.:D

I have just played a couple of hours and I deffinitely enjoyed it. But I'm quite sure it won't be a purchase for me.

I have just played a couple of hours and I deffinitely enjoyed it. But I'm quite sure it won't be a purchase for me.
Why not?

Although the game is even better than I expected, I just realized this is not the type of game I want to play. Maybe if instead of point and click, we could use a gamepad, I would have liked it a little more. I know diablo has always been like this, but that's just how I feel now. I must say that I was so addicted to Diablo II, I had to give away my copy in order to stop playing. And my favorite class, paladin, is not even in the third game. I knew it all along, but I can't deny it was kind of a let down.

Of course, I'll play a couple more hours today and hope I'll change my mind.

Damn, why every time I quote someone, it shows as if I had written both the other guy's and my comment in one single messy paragraph? (Like the one above)

Back