Diablo Technologies' MCS architecture uses flash memory as RAM

By Shawn Knight
Jul 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new breakthrough in flash memory from Diablo Technologies could have a tremendous impact on the performance of future storage systems. By tapping into the speedy data channel used to link CPUs with system memory, the company claims their Memory...

Read more
  2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TechSpot Booster Posts: 174   +38

Storage and RAM blur together...that fast!! Could we see this as a single unified element? Does anyone know just how much faster this is? Factor of 10?
  3. Mortalife

Mortalife Newcomer, in training

Does it persist through power cycle do you think? If it does I concur with Cycloid.
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

Maybe Micro ATX boards will become even smaller. With integraded grphic cards on chips things are getting smaller and smaller.
    BlueDrake likes this.
  5. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TechSpot Booster Posts: 174   +38

http://www.diablo-technologies.com/products/mcs.html
    Seems like you get to boost from 8 Gb/sec to 200+ Gb/sec....so Windows Experience Index for storage goes from 6 or 7 to something in the 20s .. and maybe a mix of RAM and SSD all becomes "Memory" and all becomes "Storage" at the same time. Pretty neat.
  6. pmshah

pmshah Newcomer, in training Posts: 81

Flash memory may be cheaper but what about the life? As per currently accepted norms these are good for something like 50,000 write cycles. How long will they survive in PC environment?
  7. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 985   +147

"As such, an MCS component can contain up to 400GBs of storage and fits inside a standard DIMM slot that typically only accommodates 32GB modules."
    hehe...if I have a computer system with 400gb ddr3/4 x 2 memory modules... :).. do I need a 128-bit windows OS?
  8. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

I cannot wait till this happens at the consumer level.
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

You won't need 128 bit Windows. 64 bit would cover GBs and TBs and even go into PBs in terms of addressing.
    misor likes this.
  10. Fishy. Operating Systems are already optimized to offload most critical code into ram on a machine that has a decent amount of it. I have loaded my entire OS and Applications into RAM disks to see the performance impact and except for startup times the impact was rather underwhelming. I really don't see the accomplishment in this article to be the panacea they're trying to make it out to be. Sounds like a way to try to lure people in to investing in hype.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.