Did I fry my Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did something stupid and need your help! My P4 computer won't turn on.
Here's what happened. I had taken out the cd burner to use in another
computer and was putting it back in this one. When everything was
hooked up, I plugged in the power cord and reached around the back to
turn on the power switch. I hit the 230/115 switch by accident and
moved that over to 230. I thought I had moved it back but I didn't
check. I pushed the rocker switch on the PSU to the on position and
went downstairs. I never powered up the computer. I went downstairs and
shortly after heard a noise and went upstairs to see what happened. The
power supply was smoking so I unplugged the power cord from the
computer. I fried the PSU (I didn't know why until later)but thought
the computer should be ok since I never turned it on. I got a new PSU
and tested it so I know it's good but the computer does nothing when I
push the on button in front. Did I fry the motherboard too? What are
the chances other components are damaged?

Thanks for your help!

The chances of damaging your mobo is low IF you did NOT power on the PC when the PSU decided to die. I would check and dbl check your connections to the mobo, make sure you have the 4pin molex plugged in next to the CPU.

Do any fans come on? Does the PSU fan come on? Any Beeps?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I`m afraid to say, but yes you`ve probably fried at least your mobo and possibly you cpu as well, not to mention ram/video card etc.

It`s probably a good idea to take your cpu and have it tested at your local pc repair shop. This should only cost a few bucks.

If you`re lucky, your cpu will be ok.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

412t1 said:
I had taken out the cd burner to use in another
computer and was putting it back in this one.
I suppose you could try disconnecting the burner,if you wanted to clutch at straws.:(

I have to admit I'm a little confused why it smoked at all when it wasn't actually powered on. Actually I'm even more confused why he went downstairs twice but only came upstairs once and he was back at his PC.
I pushed the rocker switch on the PSU to the on position and went downstairs. I never powered up the computer. I went downstairs and shortly after heard a noise and went upstairs to see what happened.

I took apart the power supply that went bad and there is a big black spot on the top of the case and solder spatters on the bottom so I guess it did a little more than smoke but yes the computer was never turned on after I hooked everything back up.

Was it pluged in? It's good to leave it pluged in, but make sure the little switch is in the off postion on the psu, just to be 100% safe. If it was on that's the problem.

Try a different PSU and see if that works.

The 230/115 switch just changes the number of windings on the primary winding of the main transformer. The only thing I can think of is that this effected the VSB (stand by voltage) sent to the mobo and this damaged the VSB mobo circuit. Now the mobo can't tell the new PSU to turn on.

I checked the power button on the front of the computer and it has continuity when pressed and I do have voltage in one of the legs on the motherboard where the switch wires connect so it's looking like the problem is deeper in the motherboard meaning it's a good bet it's toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back