TechSpot

Digi Milan converters and linksys wiring

By sicarius
Feb 6, 2003
  1. I know this is mostly a gaming forum but I have hit something I thought one of the guys who networks for a living might have hit before. I have a Linksys router bringing in wireless Internet to one building. I have fiber running from that building to a separate building. I am using Digi Milan MIL 180x converters to convert from utp to fiber from the router to the switch. I am going from port one on the router to the uplink on the switch through the converters. I am not getting a link. I have looked at the wiring diagrams and the Digis show to be straight through so I just used a normal patch cable to connect the linksys products to the Milan converters. Do they need to be crossover wires?

Thanks
    S>.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

This might seem silly (or might not be an option depending on your router), but try toggling the uplink between "normal" and the other option.

I know some Linksys routers have a little switch/button next to the uplink to change the function.. It basically switches between using straight-through and crossover cabling.

If you don't have a switch/button next to the uplink, then you might want to make a crossover cable and try that. Even though the diagrams don't show it, it might be worth a shot.

If you are crimping your own cables, you might want to make sure they work properly also.

3. sicarius

sicarius TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 35

Between Milan and Linksys I think I have it figured out. It does use a straight through cable but Milan says it is probably due to not rebooting everything in sequence. That and the original sending port needs to be set to 100mbs. I guess we will see. Thanks for the advice though rick.

S>

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.