Dilemma.... any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonk3

Hi guys,

I currently have a Hercules Rad 9700 (non-pro) and have just seen a cracking price on a 9800 Pro which I am very tempted by. I was thinkin of goin for a X800 Pro but am concerned that when I eventually upgrade to a Athlon 64 I'll be forced onto a PCI express connection which would mean I would have to change the X800 from AGP (if I got it now)
So would I see a decent increase in going for the 9800 Pro or should I hang on til the end of the year and upgrade eveything then (cpu, m/b, VGA etc)? Do you think my standard 9700 will see me through the year with HL2, Doom 3 etc on the way?

Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.

Donk

There will be motherboards that will support both AGP and PCI Express. Just because Intel decided to screw the consumers by making their chipset PCI Express only doesn't mean other chipset makers are as dumb/uncaring.

Don't bother with the 9800 Pro. Its faster than the 9700 non-pro, but you'll only notice the speed increase in some games. Better to wait till you can afford the X800 XT and a top of the range AMD64. If you can't wait, then the 9800 Pro will certainly be an improvement with the latest games, though even that card is now looking a tad slow.

I agree w/ Nic. Moving from an R9700PRO to an R9800PRO will be hardly noticable...You'll gain a few fps, but nothing staggering...

So you know PreservedSwine, hes moving from a 9700 (non pro!) to a 9800PRO, however I still say wait it out until you can get something that you'll really see a difference in, $180-$200 isnt worth it.

Just so you know agissi, you got me on both clicks. :p

What site do you use for your buy/sell anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back