Dimension 4600 Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I am brand new to this so please bear with me.

I was just given an old Dell Dimension 4600 with a CD burner and integrated sound card. I needed a new PC so that I can edit home videos on my computer (my last was a Windows 98 - inadequate).

I purchased a Lite-on DVD burner and installed it. Video is fine. However I keep getting a clicking sound as the video runs and the audio is slightly distorted. Do I need to purchase a better sound card? or a new video card? The sound from the CD player or from the internet is fine. It is DVDs that produce the clicking - homemade or commercial movies.

Please help.

I would try a different optical drive first. The click is not a good sign, and not typical.
If an alternate optical drive produces the same results, I would buy an adequate sound card... They start at about $24... then disable or delete the old audio driver in the Device manager before installing the new one.
If you can get access to a stethoscope, check the hard drive. The clicking is more typical of a failing hard drive than anything else... especially if it is a Western Digital, Samsung, or Maxtor.
The 4600 itself is an excellent computer worth spending a few bucks to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back