Direct X 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

In the Direct X Dianostic Tool, Direct X Files, in the notes menu at the bottom there is a message "the file directx.cpl is an old version, which could cause problems." The file in question is dated 11/14/2000. Everything else is date 2002. I just loaded DX 9. 30 minutes ago. Is this a problem, and if it is, what can I do about it. Thanks.

From Microsoft...

Q. Shouldn't I see a DirectX icon in the Control Panel?
A. The DirectX Control Panel icon is part of the DirectX Software Development Kit (SDK), and is used by software developers who are debugging their DirectX applications. The Control Panel in Windows does not provide any useful features for experiencing DirectX-enabled applications.

Just delete the directx.cpl file. Use dxdiag to test and adjust directx.

How do I delete this file? I can't find the file and it won't delete from DX Diag.

Also I am having random reboots. Could this be causing this? I'm running XP Home, SP 1, with the OMEGA Catylist 3.0 ATI drivers on a 9700 Pro card. The reason for the OMEGA driver is because I was having sever stuttering on some games with ATI 3.0.

Thanks again.

I can't speak for the ATI since I have the GF3 but DX9 is working fine for me. The file won't cause problems unless you try to run it in Control Panel, even then it probably won't cause problems for anything other than the window that comes up when you invoke it. You can use the Windows Search function (Windows Key + F) or start/Search/files to find directx.cpl. I don't have the file but I think I remember it being in the Winnt/System32 folder back in the days. Bring up explorer with "Windows Key + E"

Haven't had any more reboot problems today. Games are running good. I think I'll leave it alone for now. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back