Direct3D error, no game wanna run

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeChuck

Hi there, this is my first post here! I have a problem: 3d stuff don't use harware and games report that they can't run in software mode (some even report that 3D harware not available). I've run DirectX DiagTools, but everything seems to be ok... Hardware support is enabled, 3D tests run just fine, i just don't know...

Here is my configuration:
Pentium 4 at 1.8 GHz
1 Gb RAM
Windows XP SP2
Graphic card: ATI Rage XL PCI

I have installed DirectX 8.1, 9.0c, but all the same. Maybe I should reinstall WinXP, but I can't do that: I'll have to reinstall a lot of stuff and I don't want that. Can somebody give me a clue, please? Thank you!

Welocme to techspot :wave: :wave:

what are the games that u r trying run, does it happen for all the games or for some selctive games. inbetween that card is pretty outdated but still do let us know.

this happens for any 3D game (even a small one of my own). for example, when i run Serious Sam, it starts in software mode, everything runs bad: i try to select OpenGL: error, falls back to Direct3D. CounterStrike says clear: "Cannot run in software mode" i've just reinstalled the latest ATI drivers for this card, the movies play great, but not 3D games. 2D games seem to run fine. i know this card is old, but still... could it be some hardware damage (it's not realy my computer so i will not buy another card...) or something ?

Why not call tech support at ATI website, you have to do a quick sign up and then call, and they might can help out , if nobody else can. My advice is to just run dxdiag and test out the direct x options and see if 9 is enable. I dont know how different it is in xp , i am using windows 98 se.

Thanks, LegendaryU2K, I think I'll do just that. However, if anybody has an idea, please tell me...

I checked and the Rage XL only supports up to DirectX 6 and does not support OpenGL. OpenGL is one of the minimum requirements for the game, I believe. Also, it doesn't use the unified Radeon driver. Which driver did you install?

In any case, it's not likely to run 3D games very well no matter what.

U said u tried install directx 9.0 c did u really run all the test if the card doesnt support direct X 9 then it will bnot run these test.

check those dxdiag test again.

to kol_indian: Yes, I've tested direct draw and direct 3d and everything seems to be fine (that spinning cube runs nice and fast...)

to mailpup: I guess you are right, maybe this card is just to old...

I've seen a lot of ATI cards problems over this forum, so I think l'll never buy one myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back