TechSpot

Disappearing Post

By Maurice
Oct 25, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. Not sure if this has happened only since "new look", I was composing a reply, & had almost finished, when I decided to have a look at the person's profile, when I went back to my reply to continue, it wasn't there.
    I wondered if this is a new glitch, or it just because I did something out of context?

Maurice.

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

If you're using IE, it's because you left the page you were working on...
    If you right-click and choose open in new window, you'll be fine.

If you use Mozilla or Opera, then it's something strange (at least I have no problem going backwards and forwards and keeping the post in those browsers)...

3. Maurice

Maurice Banned Topic Starter Posts: 653

Thanks, that explains it, I use IE, in future, If I wan't to look at profiles when I've completed my message

Maurice :haha:

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Or you could just right click and choose open in a new window :)

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +320

It has happened to me a million times, when working on TS and in other sites, going back and forward deletes form information almost always. It's extremely annoying and definitely something that should be worked on future browser revisions.

Worst of all is that 95% of the time it's not me browsing in the same window but some iframes going 404 in that same page or accidentally hitting back/forward buttons in the mouse.

6. Maurice

Strange thing, I just made a "quick reply" to Poertner's & Julio's posts, & clicked "Go Advanced".
    It instantly appeared, on it's own, but hasn't shown up in the main thread, where has it gone?, & what is the advantage of going advanced?

Maurice [mystified]

7. MrGaribaldi

The "Go Advanced" button only transfers you from the quick reply box you're currently using to the "proper" answer window where you have all the buttons for adding links, images, format text and insert smilies.
    And when you use that option, it automaticly gives you a preview of the post you've written so far, so you can see how you'd like to format it.

You still have to push the "Submit Message"/"Submit Reply" button for it to be added to the thread.

8. MrGaribaldi

Or you can switch to Opera or Mozilaa where the problem has been fixed for ages ;) :D

9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,540   +320

I'm not sure about Opera but Mozilla does the same actually. I use both IE and Firefox daily for browsing.

10. MrGaribaldi

Strange, with netscape being mozilla based and without this problem I figured it would also hold true for the rest of the mozilla browsers.

Oh, well, go for Opera then ;)

11. Maurice

Thanks MrGaribaldi, for the "go advanced" info.

Maurice

12. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Yes there are no problems when using Opera. I hit my back button on my mouse frequently, and am glad I don't have to retype everything...although I did get in the habit of hitting CTRL-A CTRL-C every once in a while when I am making a long post.

13. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I use IE on this site (Trusted site) The only time I lose the the initial page , is when I back up two or more.I am not set to 'open in a new window'
    This is not clearly not just a function of some setting, or choice of Browser.

14. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

IE does that all the time, Opera does not...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.