Disk Failure...is it really so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This is my first post. I own a Dell PC and recently moved from Chgo to LA. In LA I hooked up the computer and all went well, (the heat sink was loose, but I figured that one out). After a couple days of running, I detected a clicking noise....it went click, click, click click (4 rythmetical clicks) and pause. When I checked the screen it was dark. When I rebooted, the following came up, along with the clicking (which lasted about 20 seconds and then stopped):
PXE E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE. CHECK CABLE.
PXE M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE Rom
No Boot Device Detected. Insert System Disk and press F1 to continue or press F2 to setup menu.

(By the way, I did unplug and reattach ALL of the connections, power, cable, etc.)

When I pressed F2 the following screen came up:

Intel Celeron 1.70 GHZ
MEMORY TESTING - 256 OK
Primary Master GHT and a series of numbers
Primary Slave - None
Secondary Master GCR and a series of numbers
Secondary Slave: HL DT ST & a series of numbers.

I called Dell several times, and each time they advised me that the Hard Disk had failed, and that I needed to buy a new one. Bummer.

Then a friend told me that maybe the IDE cable is bad.

Well, I sure don't know much about computers, so I don't know if Dell is correct or if there "Might" be something else, less drastic, that is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long drawn out message, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible for an enlightened opinion.

Don

The clicking sound does point at the HD being bad..

Connect the hard drive to the cable that goes to your CDROM and see what happens.

You can also download a diagnostic utility from the maker of your hard drive.

You list three IDE devices at bootup? Do you have several CD drives or hard drives?

i'll bet your new abode and you pc have chronic electrical conflicts...but don't rule out other sources. apc makes great hardware for addressing said issues.

PS> does your pc/outlet have a working/proper ground?

zephead said:
i'll bet your new abode and you pc have chronic electrical conflicts...but don't rule out other sources. apc makes great hardware for addressing said issues.

PS> does your pc/outlet have a working/proper ground?
I'm not even sure what zephead is saying there, or why.

Anyway - Yes Nodsu and Dell are likely correct clicking from a harddrive is NEVER a good sign. Try a new IDE cable, nothing bad can happen from trying that, make sure they are properly pushed in to the drive and motherboard, also check the power connector to the harddrive.

In Storage and Networking forum (where I'm moving this post to) there is a sticky at the top by Rick where there is a list of utilities for different manufacturers of harddrives. Download one of them and see what it says about your harddrive. Here's the link for lazy people: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

I like the IDE test first too but Hombre, start looking for your recovery disk because sounds to me like you gonna be needing a new HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back