Does A Compaq PC require a Compaq PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Hello!

I'm just wondering if a Compaq can use another, regular power supply and not the Compaq proprietary. Simple, straightforward yes or no question...but why would be cool :D Also, for the benefit of the forum, do other brands do?

Reason is I'm fixing another person's comp and he uses a Compaq, anyway he has 2 CDROMS, a 750MHz Athlon, a few fans, the regular stuff, and a 250W Compaq PSU w/ 8A on the 12V rail. I'm not kidding. It works though, but he's wondering why he gets so many blue screens...

Dell is the only major manufacturer I know that uses special PSU's with non standard motherboard power connecter. ( and special motherboards which accomodate the non standard connector.)

So would it be safe to use a read: real power supply on it? I wouldn't run any risks of damage would I? I think it may be his PSU and want to try another in it.

well the only way to be absolutely certain would be to call compaq and ask them. or check there site and look at upgrade parts for that model of computer.

Ummm, you guys haven't seen many Compaq's then. Many Compaq's use a proprietory mobo and PSU. HP is the same way. There are also many others that do this. The Acers that Wal*MArt used to sell about five years ago were also like this.

Veh, I have never seen anyone cause damage. I know it won't power the system on but I assume that if you kept trying long enough, it could cause a problem. There is a way to fool the board into thinking it is the correct PSU by using a jumper circuit. I don't remember exactly how to do that but I'm sure if you look it up you will probably find something.

well you are right about that I have never messed with a compaq. anyone who ever told me they were having a problem with a compaq my standard reply is your problem is you have a compaq try a real computer.:p

hehe greeno they allready were the same that is how they merged. TWO lame computer companies merged into ONE big lame computer company:D

Originally posted by StormBringer
Veh, I have never seen anyone cause damage. I know it won't power the system on but I assume that if you kept trying long enough, it could cause a problem. There is a way to fool the board into thinking it is the correct PSU by using a jumper circuit.

I knew it! I won't be using a different PSU in this comp anyway - not anymore.

That is not entirely accurate. Many non-compaq PSUs will work in a compaq motherboard. The problem is more often then not, the case, and the PSU not being able to fit into the case.

If anyone recalls compaqs Prolinea series, you may recall they used ATX-style power supplies and ATX connectors, but was still controlled with a rocker or push-button switch. Kind of strange they did it that way, but they did.

Yea one of my old computers is a little tiny hp mini tower... no motherboard or psu would fit in that thing. Can't even find the psu in that thing its so small ;)

You haven't tried Small Form Factor or like Micro ATX or smth of the like? I'm sure you could get something in there if you really tried :giddy:

/me finds a similarity between Nick's head and the last sentence

I've never tried it, but Dell and Compaq seem to have very simliar looking PSU connectors. Perhaps these brands are interchangeable (at least)..

But Compaq certainly does use proprietary PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back