Does size really matter?

ingeborgdot

I guess it depends on who you ask
Really, though I do have a question about SSD and size. It has been asked over and over but I have not seen any threads that really answer my question.
What size SSD would be the best option for me? I do your normal computer operation but do a lot of serious video work. I have many programs that I need to use for different things that I do. Several different things for video(large programs) office, programs that I have for home automation, hundreds of gb of music, hundreds of pictures, tb of video. Large programs for pictures. I know I won't store any of the music, pics or video on the SSD.
I have read many, many, many conflicting reports on what to do with your SSD. My big question is will I get faster video rendering if the program is on the OS drive? Where is the best place to put my programs. On another drive or on the same partition as the OS? I want what will be best for video work.

Id use 124GB SSD to load my OS, Video Editing Programs and other main programs that you have on. Keep all the data such as music, pictures, videos on a normal HDD.

My big question is will I get faster video rendering if the program is on the OS drive?

You mean if the program is on the SSD with the OS? Id guess so since it will write the data faster, but I am not expert and on top of that I don't have a SSD. But also a GOOD CPU will play a good roll in that.

I use a 64GB Kingston SSD for Win7 C drive. I also use another Kingston SSD for Linux. Then I have a 320GB WD Blue hard disk for D (data (basically all user accounts store data here, plus all software/games)

I would also install Adobe and other video editing software (or anything that would benefit from high read write disk speeds and or disk IO intensive on the SSD, with the exception of games (unless you have capacity of course).

Currently, out of 59.6GB usable, I have 20.7GB free. Thats with W7 Pro installed (windows folder uses 19.6GB currently), most small capacity software, Adobe Master CS5, Office 2007 Ultimate, my web browser etc...

If its not a stupidly intensive piece of software, and has a large disk footprint, stick it on your D disk.

I find it works very well for me like this.

Back