Donald Trump meets with the tech elite, offers a helping hand

William Gayde

Staff

President-elect Donald Trump met with some of Silicon Valley's top executives to help smooth his transition into office. Prominent attendees included the leaders of Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Intel, Microsoft, Tesla, as well as Trump family members and other administration appointees.

There was speculation prior to the meeting as to what the tone would be given most of Silicon Valley openly supported Hillary Clinton. The lone voice on the other side of the isle was Peter Thiel, the co-founder of PayPal.

The meeting comes just one day after hundreds of tech workers pledged never to help build Trump's proposed Muslim Database. Trump had also been a vocal opponent of many of the attendees during his campaign. He described Jeff Bezos's purchase of the Washington Post as a conflict of interest, among other things.

While Silicon Valley may have frowned at his election, the meeting was all business. The previous tension of the election was forgotten at the door with the meeting holding a lighthearted and respectful tone. Trump told the 13 executives he was there to help them do well and make it easier to trade across borders. Other topics included infrastructure, tax cuts, Chinese competition, repatriation of foreign assets, and various US laws surrounding the global tech market.

The technology industry under the Obama administration saw record growth. Trump hopes to continue this trend with more rigorous policies on trade and jobs. Net neutrality was reportedly not discussed and continues to be in question as the two administrations have very different stances on the issue. Overall the summit was widely viewed as productive by the various executives. Innovation and global trade look to be the key pillars of Trump's administration going forward.

Lead photo credit: Evan Vucci / Associated Press

Permalink to story.

" The previous tension of the election was forgotten at the door with the meeting holding a lighthearted and respectful tone. Trump told the 13 executives he was there to help them do well and make it easier to trade across borders. Other topics included infrastructure, tax cuts, Chinese competition, repatriation of foreign assets, and various US laws surrounding the global tech market."

It's almost as if the media narrative up to this point has been *gasp* misleading.

Title should have been, "Meeting that was likely to go badly, turned out boring". I get from this article that there was lots of resistance (rightfully so) but topics were kept to a limited scope to prevent differences of views. Got it.

Like one of his TV shows meeting.. I see what's he's trying to do might work but the world is a huge mess. I guess he thinks he can correct the mess. Jobs need to return to the USA Gas prices lowered and a loaf of Organic Bread shouldn't cost me $5 bucks for thin slices. LOL

Offers a helping hand. Ha ha, what a joke! Helping hand to what? Bankruptcy? I smell a rotten easter egg in there somewhere...

Title should have been, "Meeting that was likely to go badly, turned out boring". I get from this article that there was lots of resistance (rightfully so) but topics were kept to a limited scope to prevent differences of views. Got it.

Right - limited scope - they only talked about "innovation, trade, infrastructure, tax cuts, Chinese competition, repatriation of foreign assets, and various US laws surrounding the global tech market" Lol, How long do you think this meeting lasted?

The technology industry under the Obama administration saw record growth.
Right... because tech wouldn't have evolved from 2008 - 2016 without Obama...
Technology is like a parade constantly marching down the street of innovation - just because someone runs out in front and starts waving their arms doesn't mean they're leading it.

Like one of his TV shows meeting.. I see what's he's trying to do might work but the world is a huge mess. I guess he thinks he can correct the mess. Jobs need to return to the USA Gas prices lowered and a loaf of Organic Bread shouldn't cost me $5 bucks for thin slices. LOL

The main message Trump should be (and hopefully was) sending to these tech barons is that they need to start hiring Americans first. The H1B parade needs to stop as soon as possible. If Trump has to use an executive order, so be it - we've had eight years of imperial rule by Obama and his pet judges on the Supreme Court so the precedent is there. Let's see how the left likes it when someone makes an end-run around THEIR agenda.

Back