TechSpot

"Don't Buy Your Next PC Just Yet. Honest"

By Eric Legge
Jun 10, 2004
  1. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Right now, I am thinking very hard about not spending money in little bits here and there on hardware upgrades for at least a year or so, and then using the money to buy something completely new then.

2. Godataloss

Godataloss TS Rookie Posts: 501

I'm with ya Phantasm- I will game with my current set up- Play D3 and Halo 2 (if they ever come out) on the old Xbox and save my ducats for a wiz-bang system in a year or so-

3. Phantasm66

Yeah then it will be 64-bit time!

;)

Or maybe this "terrabyte of disk space you need" for Windows Whatsimanextit !?

;)

I think things like that may be a part of it.

4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Well, with 500GB drives coming out this autumn, you'll at least be able to break the terrabyte limit quite easily.

And I partially agree with you.
    I'll most likely upgrade my videocard and cpu (if I can use a better cpu on this motherboard) but after that save up for a totally new rig.
    Reason I'll upgrade those two things is that I want a top-notch system for playing older games & such, since this will then be my last AGP/PCI system with PATA drives etc.

5. Eric Legge

Eric Legge TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 224

It's strange how different forums react to subject matter.

I posted this link on the Sysopt forum and, surprisingly, there were over 1500 views and four plus pages of replies.

But the response here is more or less what I expected.

Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

I'm thinking now that I should have saved money and stuck with my NF7-S and stuck a mobile barton in it.
    Instead I got a 754 Athlon64 system. Haven't played much with the WinXP 64bit beta but it didn't seem to run that well :S

I'm hoping to make this system last a little over a year so that I can switch to a BTX, DDR2, PCI-e system then.

7. Phantasm66

Yeah... BTX, DDR2, PCI Express, 64-bit, dual core, etc....

These are the things I am waiting for.

And I think my current machines will last till then.

8. Arris

I might have to build a second system before then though ;)
    Only have the one just now. Sorely tempted to make an ickle Shuttle A64 system.

9. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Well the thing is a lot of people here have been in the "tech world" for quite a while & we've seen technology come & go. We don't jump on every new tech that comes out, well except for Arris of course.:p

10. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Eric, most of us here already knew about this stuff before you even posted. We keep up to date with all the latest news, so your post wasn't particularly fresh.

11. Phantasm66

I think this next machine will HAVE to be a complete monster.... certainly anything less than 2GB RAM would be a waste of time, as we would need at least 2 CPUS, each with 2 cores, 64-bit.

Now, I've had RAID 0 and RAID 1, and even RAID 10, but I think in this next machine I will be looking to purchase some kind of SATA RAID 5 controller card. Minimum 1 TB disk space.

Graphics - probably the best sub-£500 card on the market at the time.

Probably inside some kind of cuboid server container for a case - BTX of course.

12. Arris

HEY! I have to fill the void that is my life with something :D

13. Charles Hammond

Charles Hammond TS Rookie Posts: 164

I was looking at a review somewhere on this new Cooler Master CMStacker Case. It can be configured ans BTX or ATX and has the mounting brackets for 2 power supplies one in the top and one in the bottom and comes with a special adapter to hook them together. They claim it has space for 11 hard drives. The entire front is basically full of drive slots. Probably costs a fortune.

14. videobruce

videobruce TS Rookie Posts: 129

I wouldn't care is Wintel is reinventing the wheel, I wouldn't buy or use a Wintel product (other than the O/S)! Stop supporting the Wintel machine!

I'll stick with AMD thank you...................

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.