Don't sleep with your AirPods -- you could end up swallowing them

Joe White

Facepalm: Wearing headphones or earphones to bed might help you drift off to sleep. But wearing wireless earphones, like Apple’s AirPods, is a risky move. Just ask one Massachusetts man, who accidentally swallowed an AirPod in his sleep.

Bradford Gauthier of Worcester, MA, found out the hard way that wearing AirPods while sleeping comes with its risks. After shovelling snow for a couple of hours on Monday night, Gauthier put on his AirPods, chose his favorite playlist, and headed to bed for a well-earned sleep. However, when he woke the next morning, one of his AirPods was missing.

On top of that, Gauthier was experiencing some discomfort in the middle of his chest, although to begin with, he thought nothing of it. Gauthier told WWLP News 22 that he went out to shovel more snow, but the discomfort remained. “When I came in, I tried to drink a glass of water again and couldn't.”

A trip to the ER and a quick X-ray led to the discovery of Gauthier‘s missing AirPod—it was firmly lodged in his esophagus.

Fortunately, the small device was easily recovered following an endoscopy and Gauthier was able to return home, feeling “really quite lucky” that the surprise obstruction hadn’t been more serious. Whether the AirPod is still in good working order remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

I wonder what Steve Job's comment would be if he was still alive...................................... ;-)

I had a friend who's dog ate his hearing aids .... I'll have to follow up and see if he has any airpods missing .....

Im still failing to understand how ate a reasonable sized object in his sleep. Didnt attempt to chew, just swallowed it whole....?

This is meant for that segment of the population who need to be warned not to microwave their pets, don't use a hairdryer in the shower and that freshly brewed coffee is really hot....as well those troglodytes who won't protect themselves and their families from deadly virus infections, because a cult leader told them so.

Gives me really great confidence in the future of humanity.

This is meant for that segment of the population who need to be warned not to microwave their pets, don't use a hairdryer in the shower and that freshly brewed coffee is really hot....as well those troglodytes who won't protect themselves and their families from deadly virus infections, because a cult leader told them so.

Gives me really great confidence in the future of humanity.

"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

So because one person somewhere accidentally ate an earpiece sized headphone, suddenly its a bad idea to go to bed and listen to music? Its called a freak accident for a reason. If you try to account for every freak accident, you'll drive yourself mad. But hey, if you want to buy a big bubble and live the rest of your life in it, that's your prerogative. Now what I find more compelling is the idea that it could fall off my head onto the floor because at that point it's pretty much guaranteed to come at a rest right beneath where my feet make first contact in the morning.

So because one person somewhere accidentally ate an earpiece sized headphone, suddenly its a bad idea to go to bed and listen to music? Its called a freak accident for a reason. If you try to account for every freak accident, you'll drive yourself mad. But hey, if you want to buy a big bubble and live the rest of your life in it, that's your prerogative. Now what I find more compelling is the idea that it could fall off my head onto the floor because at that point it's pretty much guaranteed to come at a rest right beneath where my feet make first contact in the morning.
Big bubbles are too dangerous to live in. I heard about this one guy...

Things I put high on my "To worry about" list: An Airpod crawling out of my ear, down my face, into my mouth, me not noticing or having a dream about eating rocks on the beach, and swallowing it.

Wait, I don't buy Apple products, scratch that one.

Back