TechSpot

"Doom" game designer celebrates its 21st birthday, reveals a ton of never-before-seen game art

By Shawn Knight
Dec 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Few franchises have a past as storied as Doom. The debut game in the series was released way back in December of 1993 and to celebrate the 21st anniversary, id Software co-founder and gaming maven John Romero unleashed a barrage...

Read more

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +774

Ohhhhhhh ...... and updated version of my old favorite. That's IT, the trash man ain't getting their quarterly payment, I have a NEW priority! LOL

psycros likes this.
  3. BadThad

BadThad TS Enthusiast Posts: 64   +28

I hope it's not nearly as hard as the original!

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +774

The original had a very easy graphic design of the monsters. I took some photo's of an old boss of mine and put him on one of the monsters .... he never forgave me, but he also refused to give up the game! Ain't love grand! ROFL

5. gooderguy

gooderguy TS Rookie Posts: 66

I remember playing Doom back then on my 386sx, I had my computer's sound card output plugged into my PA system and I would put on some loud tunes along with it. The only other FPS game I had played before that was Wolf3D, which was amazing back then considering it contained 9 levels all packed into a 1.44mb floppy disk. I would boot my computer from a DOS operating system floppy disk that contained basic drivers for mouse and sound, then type the command to run the game. I think we could really use that again even today, to boot in some basic Windows operating system mode that would bypass tones of unneeded Windows services and leave more resources for games.