TechSpot

DOS C Prompt, Can USB port be used under straight DOS WIN 98

By Kruser
Aug 2, 2005
  1. My P-4 computer does not have a 9-pin serial port. USB and FIRE WIRE only. I have some older DOS only radio programming software that hooks to 9 pin serial, which my new computer does not have: it has USB and FireWire. If I boot the computer to the C: prompt from F8, say, using a WIN 95 or 98 program, and using a USB to serial cable, will any of the three USB ports show up as COM ports? I need to be a C:\ and have a USB to serial converter on COM 1 or COM 2. I will face your direction and bow deeply for any help before I go partitioning a hard drive and setting up a dual boot system.
    :hotbounce

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Unfortunately usb is not supported in dos mode at all. How ever, you can but pci serial i/o cards that have the connectors that u need and i dont think they are very expensive.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

This is just wrong. You can use USB devices just fine under DOS as long as you have the drivers or BIOS support.

I am not sure if there are any USB serial adapters that have DOS drivers but a PCI or PCMCIA serial controller would work for sure.

4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Well i apologize if my info is incorrect but i have never seen any dos usb drivers. I only had usb1 on my old mobo so i got a usb2 pci card and the cd that came with it didnt have dos drivers either.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

6. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

Can't you just boot Windows and run from a DOS prompt?

The drivers would be loaded at that point and you would still have your c:

Just go Start->Run and type in command

7. Kruser

Kruser TS Rookie Topic Starter

I cannot use a dos box running under windows. Since XP is not built on the DOS platform like 95 and 98, it is horse of a different color on many of the old programs.

8. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Maybe run a DOS emulator like DOSBox or a PC emulator like VMWare?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.