dos prompt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem HELP I cannot cmd in the dos command or basically anything else I keep getting messages like this c:\\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com is not a valid Win32 application, I have given you a Hijack this log also

I suspect that something has trashed the path command or its value.
You should have something like
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem.
Make sure you have a copy of the original before you make any changes. You can cut and past into a .rtf file using notepad if it easier.
The last time I came across this was because of a bad software installation routine - there was another post about this some months ago.
Hope it helps
Hope this helps.

I think not, cause there is no ping.com or any (usable) *.com files in win32.
I would check actions for registered file types. Maybe sth added 'open' via this ping.com to *.exe files?

is your message quote exact? Because c:\\windows is not a valid address. If that is what you are really seeing, your path has been messed with. Look at control panel, system properties, environment variables and tell what is there for 'comspec' and 'path' ?

gbhall said:
is your message quote exact? Because c:\\windows is not a valid address. If that is what you are really seeing, your path has been messed with. Look at control panel, system properties, environment variables and tell what is there for 'comspec' and 'path' ?

It is valid. Try to run

c:\\\\\\\\\\\windows\\\\system32\\\\cmd.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back