TechSpot infuses program installers with opt-out bloatware

By Matthew
Aug 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. If you're among the countless Web-goers who rely CNET's to acquire new software, you might want to tread carefully on your next visit. According to scattered complaints this week,…

Read the whole story

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

So in short this is bad for the average person clicking next right? Or just bad in general...
  3. I downloaded an antivirus software from Cnet very recently. I ran the "Trial" AV and it found malware from Cnet attached to my download. Adious CNET!
    Sanibel, FL
  4. I hate when things like this are done. When I download VLC, I want *only* VLC. If I wanted 15 junk-bars on my browser, I'd go looking for them.
  5. RandyN

RandyN TS Rookie

This is why I've stopped using CNET for downloads.
  6. TekGun

TekGun TS Booster Posts: 156   +17

What a unpleasant website.
  7. Breech

Breech TS Member Posts: 76

This is yet another reason why I appreciate TechSpot so much. Thank you guys for staying true to us PC folk.

R3DP3NGUIN TS Booster Posts: 147   +8

God I hate this new CNET download crap, I want a simple download no farking about.
  9. supertech

supertech TS Member Posts: 84   +10

I attempted to download SpyBot today and as soon as I noticed this I was very disappointed as has always pushed the fact that they were bloatware/spyware free.

I quickly went directly to safe-networking to download SpyBot and will stay clear of from now on.
  10. Mudvayne819

Mudvayne819 TS Rookie Posts: 42 just download anything you want as long its not too huge of a file and scan it with this use multi anti virus programs which is better then only one
  11. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

I will still use cnet but this is pretty disappointing, not the fact that i will have to uncheck the boxes every time, but the simple fact that they thought this would be OK, particularly when i thought this was something they were against.

Makes you wonder what other improvements they have planned in the future
  12. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

I still have softpedia as my first choice when downloading. I'll take a look at these bloatware later
  13. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8 also does the same, recently i looked for Nod32 in spanish to change it from English and bam! had to use a back up to fix it, so so annoying and so so low for a company :(
  14. "Call it a shameless plug, but we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that TechSpot offers a download section and we don't impregnate the files with any such nonsense."

Hear hear!!!
  15. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

We finally get a glimpse into the zaibatsu that is TechSpot and its shadowy network of shenanigan-free file hosting sites.

The 100% impregnation-free guarantee puts my mind at ease and gets rid of that "swimming in the high school pool alone at night when there is a killer on the loose" feeling.
  16. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 638   +56

I try to download software from the original developers/authors website whenever possible. It seems to be the best 'guarantee' that you are actually getting only what you want and nothing more.
  17. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 509   +35

Funny but I downloaded something last week from (I almost always use filehippo but this time I just googled the name of the program and the search engine came up with I look at my desktop and notice something funky. An installation file that will allow you to download what you originally meant to. I deleted it and went to filehippo like I should have originally.
  18. I went to download something (CCLeaner mayber) the other day, the official page download link points to CNet/, I have no problem with this. When I ran the file it downloaded and saw it was some CNET downloader/installer I immediately closed and deleted it and found another source for actual proper installer.

I hate crap like this.
  19. MarkHughes

MarkHughes TS Booster Posts: 57   +22

I use Techspot or for downloads, Ninite is well worth a look if you don't use it allready.
  20. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I usually download from Majorgeeks, Techspot and, on occasion, Filehippo although download speeds at Filehippo are usually slower than the other two sites. I've known since the dial-up days and have downloaded quite a number of files from that site including one which had the new download wrapper. Quite a bit of hassle considering one has to uncheck the opt-out items, rename the file if necessary and that the wrapper doesn't give you a choice on where to save the downloaded file. To be fair, the site does say that availing of its free membership will allow users to download files without using the download wrapper although I have yet to try it out.
  21. wardogz

wardogz TS Rookie

Same here, noticed it a couple of weeks back, I NEVER bother with anything that asks me to install 'downloading software' first.
  22. Back in the day, I use to use all the time. Now I try to go straight to the source which is much easier these days.
  23. i'll never download from them again.
  24. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 828   +17

I noticed that the other day when installing VLC for a friend. Just googled it - first hit was When I started install all this opt-out crap was coming up. I ditched that installer and went to find the real one.
    Very unhappy with In the past when looking for software on google if I landed on I knew I was getting good clean software. Not anymore.
  25. DeliciousPie

DeliciousPie TS Member Posts: 41

+1 for Techspot.