Download Now: Windows 10 Technical Preview

Scorpus

Staff member

As expected Microsoft launched today the Technical Preview of their upcoming operating system: Windows 10. The download is available through the Insider Program website in both 64- and 32-bit flavors, weighing in at around 3-4 GB for each edition.

If you would rather download direct, you can grab the ISO files here.

Also available today are preview versions of the new Windows Server and System Center, which can be accessed through this webpage. This is the first time that a Technical Preview of Windows Server has been made available at the same time as the client edition, with Microsoft historically restricting these builds to select partners.

As with all pre-release OS builds, it's advised that you don't install this on anything other that test systems. Not only does the Windows 10 Technical Preview have an expiry date, but it's also bound to be buggy and unstable, potentially breaking compatibility with the apps you use on a daily basis. However, it will give you the ability to check out some of Windows 10's new features, such as the returning and supposedly improved Start menu and Task view with virtual desktops.

windows microsoft satya nadella threshold windows 10

Microsoft is set to launch the final version of Windows 10 in mid-2015. Between now and then, expect a second preview of the operating system, similar to what occurred with Windows 8, that's more stable and closer to the final edition.

Permalink to story.

Here, look, if you put your ear close to the screen you can hear the hate-wagon approaching!

Wait for it, "bugged system pfffft so microsoft" and the likes...

Although I'm not sure if installing it on a VM to check the features or just wait another year. I don't like the idea of having to wait to use it if I like it :p

Here, look, if you put your ear close to the screen you can hear the hate-wagon approaching!

Although I'm not sure if installing it on a VM to check the features or just wait another year. I don't like the idea of having to wait to use it if I like it :p
Don't forget "Grrr why'd they call it 10" and "I'll stick to Ubuntu" and the ever favorite "I don't like the way it looks (in the picture) so t must be awful"

Well, it's something. It would be nice if we could remove the tiles to make it more Windows 7 like. Tablet users can add more tiles or whatever. I will try it on VM just to see how it is.

Okay, I guess I'll be the stereotype... God, it looks like a preschoolers "My First Windows" and 10? What happened to 9? Or is that too much like saying Windows No in German?

Funny thing is in all honestly I'm looking forward to the Virtual Desktops, it's unfortunate it took Microsoft so long to catch on with that one. The name really doesn't matter anymore as soon as you go from using a word naming scheme to just numbers, eventually it goes full circle and will be called just Windows again. After all Windows 10 is really version 6.4, just further expanding on Vista's Kernel.

Unfortunately the visuals are still those lame over sized pastel colored squares which are so damn unattractive, fortunately you can customize those away.

Going to download it and install it on an extra SSD I have laying around just to see.

visuals are still those lame over sized pastel colored squares which are so damn unattractive

That is the greatest definition of windows 8 visuals I have read :D

Well, it's something. It would be nice if we could remove the tiles to make it more Windows 7 like. Tablet users can add more tiles or whatever. I will try it on VM just to see how it is.
You can remove the tiles.

I couldn't be bothered. I'll wait for the official release then see what all the fuss is about. If it's good, great. If it's great, excellent. If it's crap, oh well, maybe they'll get it right someday.

Been using it all morning. At first impressions I am really liking it. Feels like this is how windows 8 should have been.

But it still feels I should have the option of removing tiles completely.

Been using it all morning. At first impressions I am really liking it. Feels like this is how windows 8 should have been..

Absolutely agree, this is what 8 or at the very least 8.1 should of felt like.

Plus, absolutely loving the virtual desktops (WIN+TAB)

The task-bar icons doesn't looks good, Because the modern apps icons are square and the classic icons are not. They need to streamline the icons in the task-bar, among other visual inconsistency.

Okay, I guess I'll be the stereotype... God, it looks like a preschoolers "My First Windows" and 10? What happened to 9? Or is that too much like saying Windows No in German?

Funny thing is in all honestly I'm looking forward to the Virtual Desktops, it's unfortunate it took Microsoft so long to catch on with that one. The name really doesn't matter anymore as soon as you go from using a word naming scheme to just numbers, eventually it goes full circle and will be called just Windows again. After all Windows 10 is really version 6.4, just further expanding on Vista's Kernel.

Unfortunately the visuals are still those lame over sized pastel colored squares which are so damn unattractive, fortunately you can customize those away.

Going to download it and install it on an extra SSD I have laying around just to see.
Wow.

Everyone hated XP back in 2001 because it looked 'fisher-price'. Also, it didn't take Microsoft this long to catch on to virtual desktops, it was offered as a free PowerToy to XP at least as early as 2004, I think it was earlier than that but I'm not going to look it up for you.

Well its downloading but my second desktop is in pieces atm waiting for its new case and reservoir/ pump so prob not gonna get the chance to mess with it till monday or tuesday next week. Looks wise I like the MUI look so I am happy there. As long it has 8.1 customizations I will be happy, will be nice not to nave to use another program for my virtual desktops.

Going to try it in a virtual machine. Signed up to the MS program so I can give my feedback to MS...heh heh

Then you have the Pro-Windows, Windows haters and their....

wait..what??

So far I'm quite impressed, pretty solid for a technical preview, DX11 is still there rather than a preview of DX12 (although I guess nothing would use it properly anyway).

Multi-Desktops is done very well.
You can Ctrl-V in Command Prompt! You can also highlight by simply left clicking in CMD and Ctrl-C to copy. Love it!
Snapping into the corners is useful now.
You can completely remove the metro tiles by right clicking each one and "unpin from start", you can also uninstall them completely.
Booting and shutting down is nice and snappy but I am using a SSD so doesn't seem much better than 8.1 or 7 in this regards.
Tried installing some popular apps, Steam, Office 2013, Spotify etc... So far no issues.

You can customize quite a bit as well but I won't go into any more detail here.

EDIT: just downloading the Server edition now. I wonder what has changed that end...

Last edited:
So far I'm quite impressed, pretty solid for a technical preview, DX11 is still there rather than a preview of DX12 (although I guess nothing would use it properly anyway).

Multi-Desktops is done very well.
You can Ctrl-V in Command Prompt! You can also highlight by simply left clicking in CMD and Ctrl-C to copy. Love it!
Snapping into the corners is useful now.
You can completely remove the metro tiles by right clicking each one and "unpin from start", you can also uninstall them completely.
Booting and shutting down is nice and snappy but I am using a SSD so doesn't seem much better than 8.1 or 7 in this regards.
Tried installing some popular apps, Steam, Office 2013, Spotify etc... So far no issues.

You can customize quite a bit as well but I won't go into any more detail here.

EDIT: just downloading the Server edition now. I wonder what has changed that end...

Good to hear. Hopefully it will improve even more by the time it's released.

I'll install this on my Frankenstein Windows 8.1 Media Center Pro Tablet I've rebuilt which has 320GB SATA II, 2GB DDR3, 64-bit Dual Core CPU. Thanks

I have a Sandy Bridge machine without a Windows license. A perfect machine for this download. Lets hope I can turn off those multi-colors, or else my hate-bandwagon-march will continue.

Been using it all morning. At first impressions I am really liking it. Feels like this is how windows 8 should have been..

Absolutely agree, this is what 8 or at the very least 8.1 should of felt like.

Plus, absolutely loving the virtual desktops (WIN+TAB)

I would have to agree as well. I don't really have any issues with 8, but the changes they have made are positive.

Actually trolls are always the first to comment, because they are getting paid and have a job to do. Then the skeptics chime in, because they've been burned more than once by shoddy software and shabby service and, of course, because they have a legitimate ax to grind.

Actually trolls are always the first to comment, because they are getting paid and have a job to do. Then the skeptics chime in, because they've been burned more than once by shoddy software and shabby service and, of course, because they have a legitimate ax to grind.
So, what's your excuse/reason?

Back