TechSpot

Download of the Week: IObit Smart Defrag

By Jos
Jun 5, 2009
  1. Disk defragmentation is one of the oldest and most effective ways of optimizing a computer’s performance – unless you are lucky enough to be using a solid-state drive, of course. There are a number of free and commercial tools available for this specific purpose, in addition to the native Disk Defragmenter utility that comes bundled with Windows, but one that I particularly like is Smart Defrag from IObit.

Read the whole story

2. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor TS Rookie Posts: 49

Thanks for doing these. I've found a lot of helpful, free programs at Tech Spot, which I wouldn't have otherwise been aware of.

Free and open source software needs to be publicized more.

3. TD_Baker

TD_Baker TS Rookie

There are alot of great freeware utilities out there. I have not personally tried this app but I can say I have been using Defraggler (http://www.defraggler.com) for my defragging needs and works just fine, they are the ones who created ccleaner as well.

4. Agreed. I like the "Download of the Week" series. Thanks for the great work
    - eEg

5. FoReWoRd

FoReWoRd TS Rookie Posts: 238

wow, working well on x64 vista no hiccups!

6. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

I use Defraggler (also free) as well, on my system, I have no problem defragging one partition while playing a game located on my 2nd drive at the same time.
    A lot faster than the old days when I had to defrag while asleep.
    The important thing, is to do it!

7. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

Tried this program, looks excellent with optimization modes.

8. DarkCobra

DarkCobra TS Rookie Posts: 79

Agreed . . . this and Defraggler are probably the best two defrag programs out there now. I use them both!

9. I had been using an older version of Smart Defrag, but have found JkDefrag to be best. It may not have all the "bells and whistles", but for a basic defragging / optimizing freeware app, it's pretty good.

I agree with the others. The "download of the week" is very helpful.

10. Absolutely the "Download of the week" is very helpful and for this reason alone Techspot ranks up there with the best PC sites out there. Keep up the good work

11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Another thanks for the download of the week. Lots of great utilities out there, and hard to keep track of them all.

12. So far the IOBit app seems like a great addition to my toolshed but I was wondering if the IOBit app by default somehow disables the use of my native Windows Defrag app. It was only my first hunch and seems unlikely but then again I'm not sure about Defrag apps and the such. It had been a while since I tried my WIn Defrag so it could of been a coincidence I suppose.

Thanks!

13. TBolt

TBolt TS Rookie Posts: 66

Hmm...I don't believe it's suppose to disable the use of any Windows tools. I use it and still am able to run Windows defrag (running on both Xp64 and Win7). Interesting.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.