TechSpot

Downloading the Diablo III open beta resulting in BSODs

By Phanixis
Apr 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I was attempting to download the recent Diablo III Beta. During the download process, an Interrupt_Exception_Not_Handled BSOD occured associated with ALCWDM64.SYS

I attempted to download Diablo3 again only to have the launcher hang at 70%, apparently a common problem with the open beta. Less common is that during my attempts to resolve this problem, I generated a Windows Stop Error BSOD.

This is the third batch of BSODs I have encountered when downloading programs. I have had similar problems in the past, both with a Starcraft II beta and with a Mechwarrior download service, each which would reproducible BSOD. Everytime I have tried to chase the problem down, I am advised to reinstall video drivers, which makes no sense because video is not involved, and I have had no success fixing the problem via video drivers.

I got a history of BSODs resulting from downloads here. I can provide minidumps for the most recent BSODs if necessary. I could really use an explanation as to why downloads, particularly Blizzard beta downloads, are causing so many BSODs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

ALCWDM64.SYS is a Realtek audio driver, not a video driver. So you can start by investigating a sound driver issue

3. Phanixis

Phanixis TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Good to know. I have fussed with my video drivers but not my sounds drivers. Then again, there is only so much I can, as I am using built in audio that hasn't had a driver upgrade since the motherboard came out. Basically if I want to run different drivers I need to install a PCI sound card made by someone who actually releases new drivers.

I still find the situation odd. I run video games and stream videos that make extensive use of my sound card without causing the problems. But this BSOD occurred when I was performing heavy downloading, and making no use of the sound card. Its odd that a sound card issue would trigger the BSOD given the circumstances.

I any case, thanks for the info.

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

Still getting BSOD's?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.