Downloading the Diablo III open beta resulting in BSODs

Phanixis

I was attempting to download the recent Diablo III Beta. During the download process, an Interrupt_Exception_Not_Handled BSOD occured associated with ALCWDM64.SYS

I attempted to download Diablo3 again only to have the launcher hang at 70%, apparently a common problem with the open beta. Less common is that during my attempts to resolve this problem, I generated a Windows Stop Error BSOD.

This is the third batch of BSODs I have encountered when downloading programs. I have had similar problems in the past, both with a Starcraft II beta and with a Mechwarrior download service, each which would reproducible BSOD. Everytime I have tried to chase the problem down, I am advised to reinstall video drivers, which makes no sense because video is not involved, and I have had no success fixing the problem via video drivers.

I got a history of BSODs resulting from downloads here. I can provide minidumps for the most recent BSODs if necessary. I could really use an explanation as to why downloads, particularly Blizzard beta downloads, are causing so many BSODs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ALCWDM64.SYS is a Realtek audio driver, not a video driver. So you can start by investigating a sound driver issue

Good to know. I have fussed with my video drivers but not my sounds drivers. Then again, there is only so much I can, as I am using built in audio that hasn't had a driver upgrade since the motherboard came out. Basically if I want to run different drivers I need to install a PCI sound card made by someone who actually releases new drivers.

I still find the situation odd. I run video games and stream videos that make extensive use of my sound card without causing the problems. But this BSOD occurred when I was performing heavy downloading, and making no use of the sound card. Its odd that a sound card issue would trigger the BSOD given the circumstances.

I any case, thanks for the info.

Back