Drive Bay Power Supply w/ Dell mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gekkostate

EDIT: I would post to get the 5 posts to get the URL allowingness, but I have very very limited time. :( Please remove spaces from links.

I have a Dell motherboard that has the crumby disadvantage of being a "Dell Prorpietary" MOBO. I dont know the chipset name but I dont think its gonna matter. I do know however that i CANT use a standard ATX power supply b/c it will fry both the supply, and my MOBO due to the dell proprietary connector.

I want to buy a new graphics card, however I do not have enough power. The card requires 550 watts power but my supply only gives 305 watts. So what I want to know is, can I buy a drive bay power supply and stick in into my computer?

Here is the link!

ht tp://w ww.tigerdirect.co m/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2700091&CatId=1077

This power supply has specific connectors that go to the motherboard etc... but if I use them, I will destroy my computer. All I want the supply for is for the graphics card I want, and thats it, nothing more.

So can I hook ***JUST*** the drive bay power supplies PCIE connectors to my video card and have it just power the card? Basically this will leave all the other connectors on the drive bay PSU just sitting in the case unconnected (Including the big one that would normally go to a MOBO.).

If that doesnt work, can I buy this?

htt ps://shop.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-470-dell.h tml

It fits my model and design of Dell (E520) and I checked various sources and they all said this site is a reputable site. Please help. :(

Unless your Dell is quite old, it will have a standard ATX power supply. The drive bay power supply is a great idea. It just might work perfectly for you. The PCPower supply would work too

I have a Dell E520, the discontinued one I believe. It has the 4 pin square proprietary connector that I see people complaining about, so I think it is the old model.

Are you sure JUST hooking the Drive Bay PSU to the graphics card, and leaving the other connectors on it, such as the mobo connector, to hang free will allow it to work? My only guess would be the PSU wont activate due to the main connectors not being connected to something, but thats just my guess.

To be 100% positive though, do you have a picture of the proprietary connector? I cant find a solid answer about it.

I thought about the 24pin connector just hanging loose, but after reading some reviews on the drive bay power supply I think the power supply will still work. The original power supply would still handle the motherboard power. So just leave all the unused drive bay connectors loose, and just power the video card with the drive bay supply

So i want to get the HD 4850 card...

ww w.newegg.c om/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103069

The connector that connects the PSU and the card is a seperate wire as the picture shows on new egg. So, can i connect the second or third connector in the below image on the drive bay PSU, into the gfx card? (which in essence causses the gfx>psu wire that comes with the gfx card obselete?).

ww w.tigerdirect.co m/include/AddCartfromGallery.asp?EdpNo=2700091&csid=ITD&Sku=ULT40063&imgcart=1&imgcounter=4

The video card takes a 6-pin power connector. You can use the 6-pin connector from the drive bay supply. You also get several adapters included with the video card

YAY! Thanks so much, this solves a hefty problem and cuts my costs down by half.

It's always nice to know where helpful people around these days. Hopefully I can pass the help to someone else who may need it someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back