TechSpot

Drive will not reformat dvd+rw Disk

By dtes816
Sep 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell Dimension 5100 computer that operates very well, but I have been having one recurring problem. I have been using Sony DVD+RW disks to back up some of my data. Recently, I have found it necessary to reformat some of these disks. Now, keeping in mind that these are DVD+RW disks, this should not be a problem, but once I started reformatting these disks I start getting errors on them. This has happened on four consecutive disks so this can not be a random problem (CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD+R disks all seem to work the way they were intended.) I can usually reformat each disk 1 time. If I try to reformat again I receive errors such as disk is damaged, or can not be formatted due to general error.

The drive is a NEC DVD+-RW ND3530A
    The disks are Sony DVD+RW 1x-4X compatible

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this, and if so is there a way to resolve it?

Please let me know.

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Have you tried different brands of dvd+rws?
    Have you tried to update the firmware?

3. dtes816

dtes816 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have already updated the firmware, but I have not yet tried another brand of DVD-RWs. Is there any known compatability issue between the NEC DVD+-RW ND 3530A and certain brands of disks. I would hate to throw away money on a new set of disks if there is.

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

I don't know if there are specific brands that your player doesnt like, but i does happen on some players..

Cheap quality discs are usualy the ones blamed..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.