Driver Problem

By george_b
Apr 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 mb) and have found that whenever I have Limewire running, the computer will just restart randomly and then when I log back on, I get a message from the Microsoft Online Crash site saying that the error was caused by a device driver problem. This first happened a while back and then seemed to be cured when I installed an ATI driver update which appeared on the windows update service.
    The exact same problem started happening again recently however, when I installed a Tevion TV Tunder card, (so, this is the first problem). Second problem: To try to solve this problem I decided to download Catalyst, but didn't realise that that I needed to remove the old driver first. Since, that whenever I have Limewire running, the computer restarts randomly as before but the message now says the error was caused by a Graphics driver problem.

Does this mean that Firstly, it was not the graphics card which was causing the problems in the first place, and Secondly, is this now a new problem caused by installing a new driver over an old one?

Please help, as you can probably tell, I'm not very good at this stuff!

Thanks in advance for your time!

George :confused:

P.S. I have noticed there are similar problems already discussed but i'm still confused!
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

Is that Lime the P2P ? I had to stop using that because it kept making my computer reboot. It was causing some kind of problem in my NIC.
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

if limewire isn't working out for you then i advise winmx. guys who know what they're doing can really get results and the average user can get good stuff as well.
  4. george_b

george_b Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might give WinMX a go. At the risk of sounding clueless, what is an 'NIC' Vegasgmc?

Does anyone have any other helpful advice or comments more specifically about the driver situation, as in whether I should try to remove the old ones or not? I know I should have done before installing the new ones but is it worth removing them now, since I've already installed the new ones?
  5. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

NIC = network interface card also called an ethernet card.

Boots
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.