Driver related BSODs I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

nliu1986

A couple months ago, I went through a period of frequent BSODs. Judging from the bccodes, it was a memory issue so I changed my sticks and everything became dandy. Then, I started getting bsods again on Friday night, June 11th. After unsuccessfully trying a couple times to load up Windows and undergoing two instances where my machine restarted on me for no reason, I was finally able to get things up and running.

Virus checks turned up clean, as did memory checks. I have not installed any new hardware or drivers. I used WhoCrashed Home Edition to help diagnose the problem, and it seems to be a mysterious driver issue. The bccodes I get also point to that culprit as well. My drivers are up to date... well, except for the Nvidia Nforce Networking Controller. Wasn't able to find an update for that on the Nvidia site though. I'd like to avoid a reformat, but I may have to resort to that. Dump file as well as some screenshots attached.

Here are the specs of my 2 year old rig:
Core 2 duo e8400 @ 3 gigs
Nvidia Geforce 9800gtx
MS-7380 mainboard
4gig DDR2 ram: 2 sticks at 2gigs each
850 watt power supply

Attachments

• analysis screens.zip
    166.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 061310-20187-01.zip
    33 KB · Views: 2
Just got another BSOD. Points to the Nvidia Kernel mode Driver version 197.45, and I do have the latest version which is 197.45. It's been this version for months. Details:

On Sun 6/13/2010 11:22:26 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFFA8034B98090, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8801025DC82)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061310-19359-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 197.45
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 197.45

0xD1 errors are almost always caused by faulty drivers and nvlddmkm.sys is a Nvidia graphics driver

Your minidump error is 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

Thanks.

I am aware that it was an Nvidia related issue, but my graphics drivers are up to date and there haven't been new updates in months. Should I just reinstall it again?

Either a) uninstall and then reinstall or b) uninstall and then reinstall an older driver. This latter has worked for many people.

Also, see if your video card is set properly and if the fan is working.

Smashing. What about that earlier reference to ntoskrnl.exe?

ntoskrnl.exe is a core Windows OS driver and usually OS drivers are too general to be of much help in diagnosing a problem. Mostly they point out that there is a problem without lending diagnostic help.

ntoskrnl.exe is one of the most common OS drivers cited in minidumps when nothing definitive is given.

Updated my graphics driver with a beta driver and I still got another bsod just a few minutes ago. Here are the details:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue 6/15/2010 1:16:19 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFF70001080000, 0x3173, 0x3175000063E6)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061510-37000-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Doubt its a memory problem since my sticks are new (the old sticks were giving me bsods) and I've run memory tests. My video card is physically fine I think, idle temp is around 63 degrees C. Nvidia just released a new driver update today... maybe I'll try that. I've attached a minidump and a hijackthis log.

Attachments

• hijackthis log2.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
  • minidump.zip
    21.1 KB · Views: 1
Well, the new drivers didn't solve the bsod issue so I've rolled back to an old one. If that doesn't work, than I'll do a system restore. I've been with Nvidia all my life but I think I'll go with ATI next time.

Your error is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. And it can be a strong sign of corrupted memory. You may want to run Memtest on your memory if for nothing else a good standard diagnostic measure. We have seen our fair share here of new memory that was corrupted. It happens from time to time.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

LOL! Naaa, start it before you go to bed and check it the next day. In fact, have breakfast first.

Ok, I've got an update. I system restore to the point before the Windows update that downloaded the nvidia driver took place. Haven't done the memtest yet, but I got another bsod afterwards (which now seems to be a laughably routine occurence). My system went into System Repair mode when it booted up. During the test, it found this:

Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\driver\tcpip.sys is corrupt
Repair action: file repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490

Right below that it said it did a system restore, and that was recorded as a success. Thoughts?

tcpip.sys is a Windows OS driver and though OS drivers are usually too general to be of much diagnostic use. Usually they point to the fact that there is a problem (duh!) rather than providing repair/fix suggestions. This is one however is often one of the exceptions.

It has to do with networking/internet and often it points to the need for NIC/wireless/ethernet driver updating or the NIC/onboard LAN cards are bad. It also can happen when the security software is buggy.

Yet, with the fact that you are being told it is corrupt I am wondering if a Windows / r (Windows Repair) is needed.

Looks like DirectX is acting up as well:

On Thu 6/17/2010 12:01:09 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: dxgmms1.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x41C4, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8800420AA30)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061710-21500-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Alrighty, I have a substantive update. I ditched my old antivirus AVG once I read that its detection rates weren't very good and went with Avast, which promptly found a suspected Windows Rootkit. I also decided to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool one more time and it detected hardware problems on the first pass, but then the progress bar seemed to freeze in place for several minutes so I just escaped out of it. I guess it time to replace my sticks... again.

Good diagnostic work on your part. AVG use to be good but in the last two years we have seen a lot of trouble with their product. Avast is a very good choice. I run it on two laptops and our second PC.

Keep us updated.

Thanks. Is it normal for the Windows Mem diagnostic to stop progressing once it finds a problem, or should I have waited? It said it would show further details the next time I logged in, but those details never emerged. Perhaps something went awry.

No, Memory Diagnostics should have kept going but then again if it stopped something is going on memory wise.

I have this feeling that it may not be my ram that's the problem, but possibly my mobo. I hope not since replacing a mobo is more of a hassle. I decided to use the Event Viewer to find more details on my most recent blue screen, and I've copied down the Fault bucket. But I have no idea what it means.

Fault bucket X64_0x4E_99_nt!MiBadShareCount+4c, type 0

Well the 0x4E is the PFN_CORRUPT_LIST code and this is probably the strongest error indicator of coruupted memory.

I have excellent news!

I am furious.

My new ram arrived today, and it didn't solve the problem. I got a bsod rather promptly. Attached is the minidump, WhoCrashed Report, and a HijackThis log file. Maybe its time for a reformat or to be even more aggressive in replacing my hardware.

Attachments

• bsod stuff.zip
    164.4 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back