Dropbox updates iOS app, will phase out public folders

By Jos
Jun 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Cloud storage startup has kept extra busy as competition is growing stronger with the launch of Google Drive and Microsoft's SkyDrive getting dedicated desktop apps as well as a revamped feature set. Today, they are announcing a follow up to…

Read more
  2. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

That reason is unlikely: Dropbox have decided that it is safer in the long run, legally at least, to remove public folders because then there is less chance of copyright infringement being an issue...
  3. It's truly unfortunate that they are removing the public folders. They are an excellent way to collaborate. Sharing links is fine but has no organization.
  4. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

Not sure how you use public folders to collaborate.
    Shared folders is what I've been using for quite a while. They're easy to set up and secure.
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I can't wait for storage and network technology to improve so we can stop pretending like a GB is a lot. People need online storage based TB. At least I do.
  6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

I'll take one petabyte, thank you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.