Dropped my computer and now I have a green screen

By tgriley62
Jan 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I dropped my CPU which is a Compaq Presario SR1303WM. The fan was knocked loose and I manged to reattach it but here is the problem. With the monitor turned on as soon as I attach the monitor cable to the CPU, the monitor clicks and the light immediatly goes from bright green to a dull green color.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

So you dropped the computer. CPU now stands for "central processing unit" which is attached to the motherboard under that fan that knocked loose. Did the heat-sink that the fan is attached to come loose too? If so, you will need to re-seat the Processor and make sure to clean of any thermal paste and apply new clean thermal paste between the processor and the heat-sink. The motherboard could be damaged. Try reseating the video card if there is one. If you have on-board video the motherboard is trashed for sure
  3. tgriley62

tgriley62 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks. I did as you suggested and still nothing. So I am assuming that the motherboard was damaged and since this one is so old it would not be feasable to repair
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,748   +156

Okay, good luck on the new computer, and try not to ever drop a computer again :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.