DSL connection problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hey Everybody, This post is for my friend who has Embarq/Sprint DSL and They can only connect to the internet every 2 or 3 hours for 10 to 15 minutes. And if they pick up a phone in their house while they internet is on it kills the internet off. Is this the wiring in the house? I dont really think it would be tohugh or the internet wouldnt work at all. And they called Embarq and they werent much help.

Thank you very much everybody for reading this post

The filters are not needed for DSL - they are there to make your phone converations noise-free, nothing else.

Yes, it does look like a wiring problem or maybe some issues in the phone exchange. Better consult the phone/internet company.

Nodsu said:
The filters are not needed for DSL - they are there to make your phone converations noise-free, nothing else.
while I have Cable and no ADSL, I do believe the filters are necessary for just this reason.
the phone creates a low impedence path that kills the DLS without the filter(s).

Ah.. Upon some more research, yes.

Even though, when my DSL filter broke, I ran the thing for weeks without the filter and everything worked fine.

I sorta knew you guys wer egoing to say aobut the dsl line filters yes they have them they had DSL for like 3 years and never had a problem untill now it doesnt connect and when you call the ISP (Embarq) they say nothing is wrong. And if it was the wiring I dont tihnk it would work at all? The phone works so I dont tihnk its the wiring? I'm really stumped on this one. There pretty much screwed becuase you know how slow dial-up is and they cant get cable internet in there area so basicly the only high speed internet beside satelie is dsl. Thanks guys I really dont know whats wrong

Listen DSL filters do go bad, and should be replace after a couple of years. I was on DSL since it was available in my area. But now have gone with CABLE.

First replace the filters (all of them) (you can get them at WAL-MART) or online
Second you can try to tap into the phone line that comes into your dwelling with CAT 5E cable if you have a module light grey box outside. If you don't have one of those new types you can do what I did for years. Connect directly into the line. By doing this you can bypass the dwelling DSL filters. You would need to splice the ends of the CAT 5E cable into the wires inclosed. They would need to be twisted so you have 2 pairs just match them up. This process is very easy to do.

Now you would need to know where the main phone line comes into play. You would need to scrap off some of the coating on the wire to get to the copper leads so you can just twist 2 ends to the phone line 2 leads.

What I did also at the other end of the CAT 5E cut off the male ends and splice the wires matching them up and connect them to a phone line junction box. You can boy those in any WAL-MART store on the cheap. There would be another female end so you would connect your DSL Modem to it using Ultra high speed Belkin phone line. This can be purchased online or at WAL-MART.

This should increase your connect by 100MBps. You could get better at 200MBps but that would require you to have a new modern style phone box outside the dwelling. Most older homes have the NL box.

MBps based on the way you have the phones lines cords in your dwelling. I don't recommend using the what you had before like basic phone line cable.

As for the disconnections, what Router are you using? Linksys Routers V2, V3 and V4 do give problems. Sometimes the DSL Modem goes bad too..

Ok Thank you very much I'm going to have to try that this weekend comming up and its directly connected into the computer they only have one computer so its not networked

jobeard said:
while I have Cable and no ADSL, I do believe the filters are necessary for just this reason.
the phone creates a low impedence path that kills the DLS without the filter(s).
Good info. I've always been told that the filters just attenuate higher frequencies coming into the phone from DSL.

After looking it up, Jobeard is right... Impedance is different between DSL and voice frequencies and DSL filters solve this problem.

Tomi Engdahl said:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/adsl_filter.html
General design specifications for an ADLS filter should be somethign like this:

* Return loss at voice frequencies (against 600 ohms) would be should be good enough.
* Should not alter voice band freuqncy response too much
* Should not have too high series resistance (commercial filters seems to have between 50 and 100 ohms for whole loop resistance)
* Filter must pass the POTS tip-to-ring dc voltages (typically o-72V)
* Filter must pass ring voltages well (40V to 80V rms at any frequency from15.3Hz to 68Hz with a dc component in the range from 0V to 72V)
* Filter must
* All requirements must be met in the presence of POTS loop currents (usually around 0-40 mA, can be up to 120 mA in some cases)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back