Dual Booting W2K PRO and 98SE installed on 2 HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to boot into WIN98SE when given the option to do so. I have W2K PRO installed on my C: drive (master) and WIN98SE installed on my D: drive (slave. They are separate drives, not a partitioned single drive. I did a clean install of both OS's on each drive before I installed them in the case.

Boot.ini files is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
D:\="Windows 98"

Did I install the OS's wrong?
Something that occurred to me > should I have installed W2K on my C: drive (master) and then Win98SE on my D: drive (slave) while both drives were connected to the motherboard?

If this is the problem, how do I go about correcting it?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You need to add another

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows="Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition" /fastdetect

line to boot.ini, but you need to change rdisk(0) to something else.

If the second hdd is primary slave, it should be 1, if it's secondary master, 2, secondary slave, 3.

If the installation is not on the first partition of that disk, you need to edit partition(1) too to match the partition number.

Grump-;
It's been a few years since I dual booted,I ran win2k with 98 while i was deciding if I liked 2k.I might be rusty,but I am sure windows OS have to booted from the first active partition of the primary drive.Win 98 should be installed first because it's boot file cannot handle win2k's .Win 2k MBR will not over write 98's.It would be easier for you to put at least 2 partitions on your 1 st drive and put 98 on C: and win 2k on D: you can use your 2nd drive as extended partion/s and then you can also mix file systems on different partitions. etc ( ntfs,fat 32). Win 2k will give you a choice at boot time as to which OS you want. I ran this system for quite a while with ease
good luck

Just wanted to let you folks know that I got the dual boot prob fixed. I didn't have W2K installed on my d: drive correctly. Thanks for the suggestions.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back