Dual Channel Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motherboard supports dual channel DDR but I'm not sure how to use it. I don't see any reference to it in the bios and the motherboard manual isn't clear on its setup. How do I activate dual channel mode? Does the memory controller automatically do it?

what is the make and model of your motherboard? if you have 4 Ram slots and are using two sticks of ram then slots 1 and 3 should hold the ram for dual channel operation.

My board is an MSI 865G Neo 2 and there are four memory slots. According to the manual if you have two sticks they should be in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel like you said. However the manual also describes that all four slots can be used for dual channel if you have 4 sticks. It also describes that each slot can be used in single channel mode. This is where I get confused. If you have 4 sticks installed, how do you know if they are working in dual channel mode or single channel? Sorry for the long-winded question.

go here and download CPU-Z 1.31 then run the program click on the memory tab and it will tell you if you're in single or dual channel mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back