Dual P3 ...eight beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i did a search for Display memory R/W error on google and the most i could come up with is make sure the memory is corectly seated, which im' sure it is

Isn't Rambus finicky on the slots it uses? I know it absolutely needs to be in pairs.....of course, that's an old mind recollecting.

sorry i was wrong, it's 7 beeps total. It beeps like this
1-1-5

which is 2 short beeps, followed by 5 fast beeps

gateway says the error is

Memory failure (number of devices detected does not match SPD data)

??

Stupid question, have you tried moving the memory around, switching which one is in which slot, and switching slots???

It is very possible your system does not like the memory or one of the modules are bad. Make sure you have terminators for the rest of your unused slots as well (Like Mic suggested).

I would also suggest reseating the memory whether it looks like it is in or not. Sometimes it just doesn't make good contact for some reason.

i've heard of putting terminators in for the cpu but i didn't think that memory modules needed terminators. If i do decide to put them in i'll have to order them from online.

I have switched the memory to slot 2 and 4 and nothing, and i've also set them memory in more then one time. So i'll see about putting some terminators in, if not that then i guess i'm screwed =P
Thanks for the help :cool:

I have had a couple of intel boards that ran rambus you MUST have continuity module in the sockets that dont have ram in them.

the link you posted tells you this.

The RIMM sockets can accept 64 megabyte (MB), 128 MB, 256 MB, and 512 MB RIMMs. The sockets must be populated in identical pairs (same size, density, type and speed), with sockets 1 and 3 being populated first. If sockets 2 and 4 are not used, Continuity Rambus Inline Memory Modules (CRIMM) must be installed in these sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back