Dual screen set up inquiry

Hi All

I am running a Windows 7 PC with a Nividia NVS310 Graphics card which has 2 DVI inputs.

I currently have a 22" BENQ screen connected to one of the DVI inputs, but would like to install another older screen which uses a VGA lead. (An old HP unit supplied with the original PC)

The graphics card does not have this facility but the base unit does have the option to connect via VGA.

Questions is am I am to configure the system to recognise both the DVI connected screen through the graphics card and the VGA connected screen running through the standard base unit into a duel screen set up.

I look forward to your responses, thank you in advance.

Steve

NVIDIA NVS 310
Specifications:
  • # of Connectors - 2
  • DisplayPort - 2
  • Single-Link DVI-D - 2 (using DisplayPort to SL-DVI Cable Adaptor)
  • Dual-Link DVI-D - 2 (using DisplayPort to DL-DVI Cable Adaptor)
  • VGA - 2 (using DisplayPort to VGA Cable Adaptors)
Normally you can not use the on-board graphics while the card is connected. Installing a card will generally disables the on-board graphics.

Thanks Clifford for the response, so if I were to use an adaptor VGA to DVI would this allow for duel screen set up even though the HP screen is non digital?

Thanks Clifford for the response, so if I were to use an adaptor VGA to DVI would this allow for duel screen set up even though the HP screen is non digital?
Thats where I was a little confused. You stated your card had 2 DVI ports, but nVidia states the card has 2 DisplayPorts. I do know that DVI must also support VGA signaling before an adapter can be used. Cards with 2 DVI ports usually have at least one port that supports VGA. However I don't know the specifics for your card.

I know my card supports the adapter on only one of the DVI ports. Take a look at the DVI Connectors. If you notice only the DVI-I and DVI-A support analog which is VGA . The DVI-D is strictly digital, while the DVI-A is strictly Analog. The DVI-I carries both digital and analog signaling. My last two graphics cards have had both DVI-I and DVI-D, therefor only supporting VGA on the DVI-I port.

Back