"Duel Channel" wonderin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiders

I read alot about "Matched set" Mem sticks are best, as far as duel-channel memory MOBO's go.
if i went to compUSA or whare ever,,and got two 256meg PC-2700 sticks off the shelf (so to speak) would those sticks be "Matched"?
If not,,what makes The memory in question "Match-set" DDR?

LOL, help me along "guru's" im a Newbi

Thank y'all:grinthumb

The same brand and model should make a perfect match.

If you go to CompUSA and buy two modules of the same brand, same speed memory.. They should be the same thing.

If you mention dual channeling, make sure you mention dual channel and not duel channel... Someone there might think you are challenging them to a fence fight ;)

Do you need the same models for Dual Channel? Not at all. Is it a good idea? It probably doesn't matter too much, but it is always good to stick to one kind of memory to minimize compatibility problems.

Just because two sticks of memory are sold with the same name, size and ratings does mean that they are fabricates the same. check your ememory for a pcb revision number to make sure. I made that mistake when i bought memory from best buy and the two sticks were fabricated differently. Result, my system stalled within the first ten minutes of use. if you have a dual cahnnel capable board, use dual channel kits to ensure system compatability and stability.

Just because two sticks of memory are sold with the same name, size and ratings does mean that they are fabricates the same. check your ememory for a pcb revision number to make sure. I made that mistake when i bought memory from best buy and the two sticks were fabricated differently. Result, my system stalled within the first ten minutes of use. if you have a dual cahnnel capable board, use dual channel kits to ensure system compatability and stability.
Thats the big problem. Buying the same speed/model/make etc normally produces a suitable match - but not always. Companies dont often like you trying to RMA components 'because they dont match'. Matched pairs were paired as they came off the production line and then tested together to ensure perfect compatibility.
Buying 2 similar sticks normally works, buying matched pairs always works.

Steg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back