Durability of switched USB hubs

Sebastian42

I keep different content on different external HDDs, each of which is connected to the PC through a switchable USB hub, I.e. each port is switchable. I have repeatedly found that a new hub allows me to see each ext HDD for some months. Then it becomes unreliable. What could explain that ?

I do know with those USB hubs, that higher power devices can cause problems as they're only really designed for lower power stuff like USB drives and mice etc

I keep different content on different external HDDs, each of which is connected to the PC through a switchable USB hub, I.e. each port is switchable. I have repeatedly found that a new hub allows me to see each ext HDD for some months. Then it becomes unreliable. What could explain that ?
The repeated unreliability of your switched USB hub after a few months could be due to two main reasons:

1. Power Delivery: Many switchable hubs are unpowered, meaning they rely solely on your computer's USB port for power. External hard drives (HDDs) can draw more power than some ports can provide. This can lead to connection issues over time, especially as the hub components degrade. Consider a powered USB hub specifically designed for external drives.
  2. Component Quality: Less expensive hubs may use lower quality internal components that wear out faster with repeated switching. Invest in a well-regarded brand known for reliable USB hubs. Look for models with a metal casing and good reviews for durability.

Back