DVD drive will not recognize DVD video discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi yall, this is my first post and I hope you can help me:

Basically, I have an old DVD RW drive that I used to watch DVD videos on as well as for data file reading and writing.

I recently got some DVDs from the video store and was looking forward to watching them on my computer but none of them get recognized by my computer anymore. I put the DVD in the drive, the drive churns away for what seems like hours, and if I'm lucky I get a "Please insert a disc into drive" message.

I don't get it. I used to be able to watch DVD videos no problem. I'm pretty sure the discs themselves are OK, not ALL 4 of them could be faulty.

I've even put in a ripped DVD that I made of an original video DVD. After a while it actually recognises the disc but any attempt to play the DVD just crashes the software DVD player.

The drive recognises data and software DVD discs OK so what could be the problem. Is this beaviour typical of old DVD drives? Should I just get a new one?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I don't wanna just go out and buy a new DVD drive if there's some way I can get this one to work again.

Check the cable is firmly inserted.

Go to Control Panel / System / Hardware / Device manager and UNINSTALL the IDE channel the DVD is on {generally the Secondary} by Right clicking & choosing "uninstall".

Reboot & Windows will find it again, and install the drivers automatically, then it will find the DVD again and install that.

Generally that will sort any DMA issues, and hopefully fix your problem.
If not, it's time to go to your nearest PC Shop for a new one. They are pretty cheap these days!

I have a dvd optical that does not run ISO or NRG files everything else is fine
I would say it crapping out and this is one way of telling you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back