TechSpot

dvd drive wont play dvd on media player but loaded up windows

By pcrepairs247
Nov 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iv built a enw system, loaded up windows fine when i go to play a dvd it says "window meadia player cannot play this dvd because a compatible dvd decoder is not installed on your computer. "

Have i installed the ide cable in the wrong order or jumpers on wrong settings?? i have it as hard drive master and dvd rom slave.

maybe i need codecs??

what do you guys reckon thanks

richie
    GFX Computers
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Download and install the K-lite codec pack from HERE. That should do it, if it`s a missing codec problem.

Regards Howard :)
  3. pcrepairs247

pcrepairs247 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

tried that link m8 no luck tho:( still says the same thing
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Try putting the dvd drive on the secondary ide channel as master and jumper accordingly.

It`s never a good idea to have an optical drive on the same ide channel as a hard drive.

If that still doesn help, download and install the free trial of Power DVD from HERE. It will install the correct dvd codec. Even if you choose to uninstall power DVD, it will leave the codec behind.

Regards Howard :)
  5. pcrepairs247

pcrepairs247 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 57

Good thinkin m8 however I'm using ASROCK K8nf6G MOBO and it only has one IDE slot on it :( i will try moving the jumpers to cable select. thanks for your help
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.