DVD Playback not working for DVD-ROM and DVD+RW players XP Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell E510 with Windows XP Media Center. I have two internal DVD players on the computer. Both have worked perfectly in the past. A few months ago they both stopped playing all DVDs. I wasn't worried about it until now as I need to burn a DVD. Both DVD players play CDs just fine and the DVD+RW will burn CDs. DVDs are recognized in Windows Explorer only on the DVD-ROM drive (no playback though). Nothing on the DVD+RW drive, just blicking green light.

The DVD drives are:

Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615

and

HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GWA 4164B

I have Windows Media Player 11 and Media Center.

The error from Windows Media Center is "The DVD may be in use by another application. If all other applications are closed, the display resolution may need to be lowered or the display connection type may not support playback of the DVD."

The error message from Windows Media Player is "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

I went windows homepage and looked for an updated driver but did not find one. I also looked on Dell website no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

You could find out what IDE channel the drives are on, go to Device Manager , Right click on the Channel and Uninstall it. Reboot & the channel and everything connected to it will be picked up & reinstalled automatically.

This often helps.

I would probably give it a try, but I'm not sure how to determine which IDE controller they are attached to.

I went into Device Manager and found the following under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Serial ATA Storage Controller
Primary IDE Controller
Primary IDE Controller
Secondary IDE Controller

How do I determine which one to uninstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back