DVD-RW or stay with CD-RW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a newbie when it comes to PCs, but more like had my head in the sand for a while.

Anyways, I'm having CD-RW problems (see Harddrive success... Now CD-RW no worky!), and there's a chance I'll be replacing it. I know you can put more data on a DVD than you can on a CD, but for my use, I don't see the cost/need benefit in going that direction.

However, if I can use a DVD-RW for things such as making DVDs that will play on my TV from videos I made, that might make the sale. It be neat to have some old home videos to last a lifetime on DVD.

So, the questions are these:
1. I know that soe CD players won't read CDs that were made on a computer, while others will. What format does the DVD have to be written in, in order for a DVD player to be able to use it?
2. What hardware would have to be purchased so that I can hook up my VHS-C camera/recorded to my PC? Or do I have to buy a digital camcorder?
3. For older videos that I've lost (or otherwise messed up) the master VHS-C tape, would I be able to copy the VHS tape from a VCR?
4. Would I also need to purchase software? and lastly,
5. What kind of $ am I talking about here?

Thanks, Kevin

Get it. Its the best upgrade I have made this year, at least.

Its AMAZING watching data getting burned off your HDD in 4.7 GB chunks!

You can capture from the TV as Mpeg-II and then burn it directly to DVD.

Of course, this requires a seperate TV capture card, but they are cheap.

Using this, its very simple to capture from videotape by plugging your VCR into such a card, and then writing to DVD. I've done the same thing many times at home.

You can then leave it as a large mpegII file, which just plays straight into media player, or you can use DVD authoring software such as Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 by Roxio to create a DVD disk that will play in your DVD player device if you have one.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
You can then leave it as a large mpegII file, which just plays straight into media player, or you can use DVD authoring software such as Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 by Roxio to create a DVD disk that will play in your DVD player device if you have one.

Thanks. Sounds like what I want. I did a search on the Roxio software and it looks to be only around $15 or so. I think I can get DVD-RW for $100-150 or so.

How much do you think it would be for TV card?

I hope Best Buy has the software and TV card, so I can get all three at one stop.

Kevin

should be able to find a nice capture card for about 50 bucks or less (USA CURRENCY)

whoa hey mictlantechuhtli!
(flex)

Check areound before you buy. I got a dual format drive last week for $89 after rebate. It came with EZCD/DVD 6.0. Ive seen several stores selling them for around that price.

Lite-On have the best deals no doubt! Best bang for buck is them. I have 4x DVD+-R/+-RW and my dad has the same but 8x. He got his 8x for $150 and I got my 4x for $80 (the 4x was on black friday tho).

Just dont do what he did, and go out and buy 2.4x DVD+Rs when I have a 4x burner :blackeye: Now Im stuck with 60 of those damn things...... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back