DVD-RW or stay with CD-RW?

By streittk
Dec 5, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not really a newbie when it comes to PCs, but more like had my head in the sand for a while.

Anyways, I'm having CD-RW problems (see Harddrive success... Now CD-RW no worky!), and there's a chance I'll be replacing it. I know you can put more data on a DVD than you can on a CD, but for my use, I don't see the cost/need benefit in going that direction.

However, if I can use a DVD-RW for things such as making DVDs that will play on my TV from videos I made, that might make the sale. It be neat to have some old home videos to last a lifetime on DVD.

So, the questions are these:
    1. I know that soe CD players won't read CDs that were made on a computer, while others will. What format does the DVD have to be written in, in order for a DVD player to be able to use it?
    2. What hardware would have to be purchased so that I can hook up my VHS-C camera/recorded to my PC? Or do I have to buy a digital camcorder?
    3. For older videos that I've lost (or otherwise messed up) the master VHS-C tape, would I be able to copy the VHS tape from a VCR?
    4. Would I also need to purchase software? and lastly,
    5. What kind of $ am I talking about here?

Thanks, Kevin
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Get it. Its the best upgrade I have made this year, at least.

Its AMAZING watching data getting burned off your HDD in 4.7 GB chunks!

You can capture from the TV as Mpeg-II and then burn it directly to DVD.

Of course, this requires a seperate TV capture card, but they are cheap.

Using this, its very simple to capture from videotape by plugging your VCR into such a card, and then writing to DVD. I've done the same thing many times at home.

You can then leave it as a large mpegII file, which just plays straight into media player, or you can use DVD authoring software such as Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 by Roxio to create a DVD disk that will play in your DVD player device if you have one.
  3. streittk

streittk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks. Sounds like what I want. I did a search on the Roxio software and it looks to be only around $15 or so. I think I can get DVD-RW for $100-150 or so.

How much do you think it would be for TV card?

I hope Best Buy has the software and TV card, so I can get all three at one stop.

Kevin
  4. Babur

Babur Newcomer, in training

DVD RW

I think its the most significant update since floppy disk !!
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I'm making a backup of my 120 GB hdd with 12 empty DVDs (it's not 100% full fortunately). I can't even imagine the fun I'd have with about 90 empty CDs :giddy:

For TV cards, check out dvdrhelp.com capture card list.
  6. benwalburg

benwalburg Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

should be able to find a nice capture card for about 50 bucks or less (USA CURRENCY)

whoa hey mictlantechuhtli!
    (flex)
  7. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Check areound before you buy. I got a dual format drive last week for $89 after rebate. It came with EZCD/DVD 6.0. Ive seen several stores selling them for around that price.
  8. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

Lite-On have the best deals no doubt! Best bang for buck is them. I have 4x DVD+-R/+-RW and my dad has the same but 8x. He got his 8x for $150 and I got my 4x for $80 (the 4x was on black friday tho).

Just dont do what he did, and go out and buy 2.4x DVD+Rs when I have a 4x burner :blackeye: Now Im stuck with 60 of those damn things...... lol
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.