DVD-RW problems in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I recently acquired a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium and am having problems using my DVD-RW drive.

First, my drive model is a BTC DVDRW-IDE1108. I have had no problems with this drive under Windows XP, and I can use the drive to boot from CD, but it seems not to function in Vista. The drive is present in the device manager and Computer menu. When I insert a disc of any kind, the drive's LED lights up as if it's reading it, and it sounds as if it's spinning, but it will not actually read the disc and the computer will hang until I remove the disc.

I have tried updating my drive's firmware with no changes in behavior. I have also tried uninstalling the device through the device manager.

Any suggestions or similar problems would be helpful.

Was this an upgrade to Vista?

I'd like to throw the possibility out there of incompatible software causing your issues. This may include CD burning software, packet writing software, ISO/Disc image mounting software and enhanced access layer drivers (Patin-Couffin is an example).

If this was a clean install, did you have this problem before adding any software?

I'd also like to know if Event Viewer lists anything out of the ordinary, such an CDROM errors. (Start > Run > eventvwr.msc )

It was a clean install of Vista. Home Premium does not allow upgrades from XP Professional.

In order to complete the operation, I had to perform a "Flat Install" as Microsoft's website suggested. That is copying the contents of the disc to a folder within XP and running the installer from the hard drive. The reason for this is because I could not seem to use the drive once the computer had booted into the Vista installer from the disc. It would reach the point where a backround image appeared with the text "Installing Vista". At that point, it would cease to continue no matter how long I left it running.

The reason for this is because I could not seem to use the drive once the computer had booted into the Vista installer from the disc.
Bizarre... And yet you were still able to copy the data, which certain says the DVD can be read by your drive.

This is just straw-grabbing, but have you tried to update your DVD-RW firmware? Perhaps there's some sort of strange incompatibility between how your DVD-RW is programmed and how Vista handles optical devices and or their interface. http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=7

Another shot in the dark is removing upper and lower filter drivers from the registry. This works in XP for optical drives that have lost functionality and I assume it will work under Vista as well, but I have no clue if it will work as it does in XP.

Microsoft said:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back